Material required for 1st Year Courses

In summary, the conversation is a series of requests for book recommendations for various subjects including algebra, calculus, digital computation and programming, engineering design, general chemistry, materials science, and physics. The conversation also includes a question about a liberal studies program and a personal interest in the physics of celestial bodies. Several books are suggested by different individuals, including Kreyszig for math, Young and Freedman for physics, and Callister for materials science. The conversation ends with a discussion about the different editions of Callister's book and a recommendation to just pick one and read it thoroughly.
dekoi
Could anyone suggest books or articles which could be benefitial to my (self-)education in the following subjects:

-Algebra
-Calculus I & II (Which i believe, are complex differentiation and integration)
-Digital Computation and Programming
(-Engineering Design and Graphical Communication)
-General Chemistry
-Materials Science Fundamentals
-Physics I, II & III

All of the above are first year courses for a Mechanical Engineering bachelors degree.

Also, what could i expect in a first year 'liberal studies' program in my engineering field?

ps. For my personal interest, is there any reading which can introduce me to the physics of the dynamics of celestial bodies and other astronomical phenomenon?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For maths I have to recommend Kreyszig, its considered the bible where I am. Should cover you for algebra and calculus.

There would be plenty of physics books out there. The one I have is by Young and Freedman.

Materials, I have to recommend Callisters "Material Science and Engineering, an Introduction"

Cant help with the rest sorry.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Any one else?

Kreyszig for sure man, its a good Engineering math book

For Algebra - Gilbert Strang
For Complex-Edward,Pinney
Calculus-Kreyzig,Thomas & Finney,Apostol

hey heman can you tell us some good problem books also on the above topics

These are very nice books
Physics -Kleppner & kolenkow For Mechanic
D.J.Griffiths-For Electrodynamics
Digital Computation and Programming----Malvino,,(Hey Himanshu what's other one)
General Chemistry- i too looking for one ,,Tough to find
Materials Science Fundamentals-Callister is an classic,,also ShackelFord is a good book

Wow so many awesome books to look at. :thumbs up:

I'm thinking of just studying linear algebra on my own now, since there's no room for me to take it at school (schedule too crowded).

Any idea on which book is better?

Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction (5th Edition)

link:

Or...

Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering : An Integrated Approach

link:

I have Callisters book and it is great, I can't comment on the other one as I've never seen it.

morry said:
I have Callisters book and it is great, I can't comment on the other one as I've never seen it.

Which one? He has two different ones... :p

Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction

just pick one of thise books and read it as well as you can.

FancyNut said:
Which one? He has two different ones... :p

Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction

Oh sorry, well I have the top one, I didnt realize Callister wrote the other one too.

1. What type of materials are required for 1st year courses?

The materials required for 1st year courses vary depending on the specific courses you are taking. Generally, you can expect to need textbooks, lecture notes, lab manuals, and other supplemental materials.

2. Where can I purchase the required materials for my 1st year courses?

You can purchase the required materials for your 1st year courses at your campus bookstore, online through the publisher or retailer, or through third-party sellers.

3. How much do the materials for 1st year courses typically cost?

The cost of materials for 1st year courses can vary greatly depending on the specific courses and materials required. On average, students can expect to spend anywhere from $500-$1000 on materials for their 1st year courses.

4. Can I rent or borrow the materials for my 1st year courses instead of buying them?

Yes, many textbooks and other materials are available for rental or borrowing from your campus library. You can also check with your professors or classmates to see if they have any materials you can borrow.

5. Are digital versions of the materials available?

Yes, many textbooks and other materials are available in digital format. These can be purchased or rented from online retailers or accessed through your campus library's online resources.