Material Science: Monovacancy Concentration

In summary, the Monovacancy formation energy of a metal is 80 kJ/mol and this leads to a monovacancy concentration of about 9.5x10^-15 at 25 degrees celsius. To solve this problem, you need to find the formation energy per vacancy and the average energy per degree of freedom, which will help you calculate the Boltzmann factor. The answer is option B.
flyfisher117

Homework Statement

The Monovacancy formation energy of a metal is 80 kJ/mol. Hence the monovacancy concentration (CV) at 25 degrees celsius is about:

A)1.3x10^-13
B)9.5x10^-15
C).9
D)5x10^15

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is B but I don't know how to get to that. I have no book for this course (professor told us not to worry about getting it because everything we need will either be given in lecture or found on the internet).

I don't have any notes on this and google is not returning anything helpful.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to walk me through how to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formation energy per vacancy? What is the average energy per degree of freedom? You just need the Boltzmann factor.

1. What is monovacancy concentration in material science?

The monovacancy concentration in material science refers to the number of single vacancies, or empty spaces, in a material's atomic structure. It is a measure of the amount of defects or imperfections in a material.

2. How is monovacancy concentration measured?

Monovacancy concentration can be measured using techniques such as positron annihilation spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and secondary ion mass spectrometry. These methods allow for the detection and quantification of vacancies in a material.

3. What factors affect monovacancy concentration in materials?

The monovacancy concentration in a material can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of material. Higher temperatures generally lead to an increase in vacancy concentration, while pressure can have varying effects depending on the material. The atomic structure of the material also plays a role, as some materials are more prone to vacancy formation than others.

4. What is the significance of monovacancy concentration in materials?

The monovacancy concentration in materials can have a significant impact on their properties and performance. Vacancies can affect the material's mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties, as well as its corrosion resistance and stability. Controlling the vacancy concentration is crucial in designing and engineering materials with desired properties.

5. Can monovacancy concentration be used to improve material properties?

Yes, monovacancy concentration can be intentionally manipulated to improve material properties. By controlling the number and distribution of vacancies, it is possible to enhance a material's strength, conductivity, or other desirable properties. This process, known as vacancy engineering, is a promising area of research in material science.