1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials engineering Concrete

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does the compressive strength of concrete samples compared to the expected compressive strength of cured concrete. If different explain why.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the question is asking what is the relationship between time and curing. And I think that the longer you allow the cement to cure there will be an increase in compressive strength..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question doesn't make much sense as written. Did you miss out some words?

4. Oct 29, 2016 #3
    This is the whole lab questions about the concrete lab.

Questions to be addressed in the lab report: 1. Fill in the group data sheet posted in the lab and include this table in your report.
    2. Your report should include all data related to the preparation of your concrete, the group data sheet, and any calculations pertaining to these items.
    3. Plot compressive strength (y) versus cure time (x) for the two mixtures (on one plot). Add a polynomial trend line for both mixtures.
    4. From the class results, comment on how the mix ratio, weight % water, curing time, water/cement ratio, temperature, type of cement used and slump affect concrete’s compressive strength. What was the percent gain in strength between the 7 day and 28 day samples? What causes the difference? In addition, you need to note the fineness modulus of the concrete sand from the sand sieve analysis in rotation A.
    5. Be sure to include your observations of the physical properties of the concrete mixtures.
    6. How does the compressive strength of the samples compare to the expected compressive strength of cured concrete? If different, explain why.

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Question 4 asks you to compare the effect of quite a few different variables including the mix ratio. I can't tell from the info provided if they were expecting you to discover any one sample was stronger or weaker than expected. We're ther any surprises?

6. Oct 30, 2016 #5
    The longest cured cement was the strongest with compression strength

7. Oct 30, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would expect that but was there a difference between the other variables mentioned in Q4? Does adding more cement always make it stronger?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted