(materials science) slip system

1. for the FCC cubic, there are 12 slip systems: 4 {111} planes and 3 <110> directions...
    what i don't understand is why are there 4{111} planes instead of 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How many corners to a cube? How many major diagonals?

4. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a cube, you'll find you can draw 8 {1,1,1} planes. However, you'll also see that only 4 of these are unique - the other 4 being parallel to these and separated from them by distance of a/sqrt(3), where 'a' is the cube edge.

What I don't understand is why there are only 3 <110> directions when it looks to me like there should be 6 (2 face diagonals on each of the 3 faces).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  5. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Rotational symmetry - rotate the cube 90° about the normal to the face plane, and one face diagonal transforms to the other (perpendicular) diagonal.

Or rotate the cube 180° about the normal to the base and the <110> becomes <1[itex]\bar1[/itex]0>.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  6. ok~ thank you!

7. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't this argue that there is only one relevant <110> direction? After all, I can generate the other 5 face diagonals from any one, using a combination of symmetry preserving rotations.

Yikes! I've completely lost touch with basic crystallography - time to hit the books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?