Math Ability Internationally Tested

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a journal entry that provides links to the PISA-site, which conducted a survey comparing math aptitude of high school students worldwide. Some of the top-performing countries include Korea, Japan, and Belgium, while the United States did not perform well. The official document and website show that Singapore and India were also among the top countries, but not included in the survey. The conversation then delves into the population size and diversity in mathematical ability, particularly in Singapore compared to India and China. The question of how to make a fair comparison between countries of varying populations is raised.
marlon
Hi you all,

In my journal i posted an entry with some links to the PISA-site. This organization conducted a survey by making a comparison of math aptitude of students in high schools throughout the entire world.

Some of the top nations are Korea, Japan and Belgium :approve:
The United States did not perform at all...please read the OFFICIAL document and see for yourselves...

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
marlon said:
The United States did not perform at all...please read the OFFICIAL document and see for yourselves...

regards
marlon

that isn't surprising.. why don't they have India or singapore listed?

jai6638 said:
that isn't surprising.. why don't they have India or singapore listed?

They are...you did not read the document thouroughly...Singapore is also among the top-countries...

regards
marlon

i must be blind coz i still can't find India in the pdf..i used the find function to search for INDIA but to no avail..

checkedthe website.. participating countries for 2006 ( which is more than 2003 ) are :

Argentina* Australia Austria
Azerbaijan* Belgium Brazil*
Bulgaria* Canada Chile*
Colombia* Croatia* Czech Republic
Denmark Estonia* Finland
France Germany Greece
Hong Kong-China* Hungary Iceland
Indonesia* Ireland Israel*
Italy Japan Jordan*
Kazakhstan* Korea Kyrgyzstan*
Latvia* Lithuania* Luxembourg
Macao-China* Mexico The Netherlands
New Zealand Norway Poland
Portugal Qatar* Romania*
Russian Federation* Serbia and Montenegro* Slovak Republic
Slovenia* Spain Sweden
Switzerland Chinese Taipei* Thailand*
Tunisia* Turkey United Kingdom
United States Uruguay*

theres no India or singapore for that matter..

Last edited:
India, China, Singapore, etc. were not included in the study.

Last edited:
There weren't Engliand either ?
can you guys tell me who from US took the free trip to olymp for fun that time ?

atrec said:
There weren't Engliand either ?

Actually, UK was a part of the survey, but the number of responses was too small for statistical consistency.

Gokul43201 said:
India, China, Singapore, etc. were not included in the study.

thats lame... i heard singapore has an excellant education system which could mean that the mathematical ability of students is great ( coz of the good foundation ) ... i would think India and china would rank pretty good too

I've taken part in several mathematics competitions within the South East Asian region, and I can tell you that the mathematical abilities of Singaporean students is outstanding. Just look at the results of this international competition.

Singaporean (SIN) students make up around 8% of the competition's participants (numbering half a million), yet 5 out of the 13 perfect scorers for 2004 were Singaporeans. I don't even want to begin talking about Brunei... :frown:

now that i think about it... singapore has a small populatoin... so if compared to nations like China or India ( 1billion populatoin ) don't u think the smart ones would be more promiment in singapore as compared to the other 2 countries??

so even if there's a % of people who are smart in singapore.. its still a small populatiion compared to India or china

Dunno if the above post makes sense...lol .. however, would want to know how can a fair comparison between countries of varying populations be done?

Are you talking about the principle of diminishing returns as applied to countries?

hmmm i don't think so..what I am tryin to say is that in a small country like singapore there will be less diversity in terms of mathematical ability due to a smaller population( i.e. either the citizens would not be great in math or they would be... in singapores case, ofcourse, they are good at math ) as compared to countries like India and China which have 1+billion populationn... So how can a fair comparison be made?

1. What is "Math Ability Internationally Tested"?

"Math Ability Internationally Tested" refers to standardized assessments that are administered to students across different countries to measure their mathematical abilities and skills.

2. How is "Math Ability Internationally Tested" different from regular math tests?

"Math Ability Internationally Tested" is different from regular math tests in that it is designed to be culturally unbiased and to measure a student's understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts rather than their knowledge of specific math topics or equations.

3. Who administers "Math Ability Internationally Tested"?

The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is responsible for administering "Math Ability Internationally Tested" through their Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) every three years.

4. What countries participate in "Math Ability Internationally Tested"?

More than 80 countries participate in "Math Ability Internationally Tested", including most developed countries in Europe, Asia, North America, and Oceania.

5. What is the purpose of "Math Ability Internationally Tested"?

The purpose of "Math Ability Internationally Tested" is to provide a global comparison of students' mathematical abilities and skills, identify areas for improvement in math education, and inform policy decisions to improve math education internationally.