1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Ability Internationally Tested

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    Hi you all,

In my journal i posted an entry with some links to the PISA-site. This organization conducted a survey by making a comparison of math aptitude of students in highschools throughout the entire world.

Some of the top nations are Korea, Japan and Belgium :approve:
    The United States did not perform at all...please read the OFFICIAL document and see for yourselves...

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&journalid=13790&action=view

regards
    marlon

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2

that isnt surprising.. why dont they have India or singapore listed?

4. Jan 5, 2005 #3
    They are...you did not read the document thouroughly...Singapore is also among the top-countries...

regards
    marlon

5. Jan 5, 2005 #4
    i must be blind coz i still cant find India in the pdf..i used the find function to search for INDIA but to no avail..

checkedthe website.. participating countries for 2006 ( which is more than 2003 ) are :

Argentina* Australia Austria
    Azerbaijan* Belgium Brazil*
    Bulgaria* Canada Chile*
    Colombia* Croatia* Czech Republic
    Denmark Estonia* Finland
    France Germany Greece
    Hong Kong-China* Hungary Iceland
    Indonesia* Ireland Israel*
    Italy Japan Jordan*
    Kazakhstan* Korea Kyrgyzstan*
    Latvia* Lithuania* Luxembourg
    Macao-China* Mexico The Netherlands
    New Zealand Norway Poland
    Portugal Qatar* Romania*
    Russian Federation* Serbia and Montenegro* Slovak Republic
    Slovenia* Spain Sweden
    Switzerland Chinese Taipei* Thailand*
    Tunisia* Turkey United Kingdom
    United States Uruguay*

theres no india or singapore for that matter..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  6. Jan 5, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

India, China, Singapore, etc. were not included in the study.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  7. Jan 5, 2005 #6
    There weren't Engliand either ?
    can you guys tell me who from US took the free trip to olymp for fun that time ?

8. Jan 5, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, UK was a part of the survey, but the number of responses was too small for statistical consistency.

9. Jan 5, 2005 #8
    thats lame.... i heard singapore has an excellant education system which could mean that the mathematical ability of students is great ( coz of the good foundation ) .... i would think India and china would rank pretty good too

10. Jan 5, 2005 #9
    I've taken part in several mathematics competitions within the South East Asian region, and I can tell you that the mathematical abilities of Singaporean students is outstanding. Just look at the results of this international competition.

Singaporean (SIN) students make up around 8% of the competition's participants (numbering half a million), yet 5 out of the 13 perfect scorers for 2004 were Singaporeans. I don't even want to begin talking about Brunei... :frown:

11. Jan 5, 2005 #10
    now that i think about it.... singapore has a small populatoin... so if compared to nations like China or India ( 1billion populatoin ) dont u think the smart ones would be more promiment in singapore as compared to the other 2 countries??

so even if theres a % of people who are smart in singapore.. its still a small populatiion compared to india or china

Dunno if the above post makes sense...lol .. however, would wanna know how can a fair comparison between countries of varying populations be done?

12. Jan 6, 2005 #11
    Are you talking about the principle of diminishing returns as applied to countries?

13. Jan 6, 2005 #12
    hmmm i dont think so..what im tryin to say is that in a small country like singapore there will be less diversity in terms of mathematical ability due to a smaller population( i.e. either the citizens would not be great in math or they would be... in singapores case, ofcourse, they are good at math ) as compared to countries like India and China which have 1+billion populationn... So how can a fair comparison be made?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?