Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4

In summary, the challenge is to prove that for positive real numbers a, b, and c, ##a^{a}b^{b}c^{c} \geq (abc)^{\frac{a + b + c}{3}}##. The solution is not provided as it requires creative thinking to find an inequality that involves relevant powers.
Submitted by: @QuantumQuest
Challenge Level: High School

RULES:

1) In order for a solution to count, a full derivation or proof must be given. Answers with no proof will be ignored.
2) It is fine to use nontrivial results without proof as long as you cite them and as long as it is "common knowledge to all mathematicians". Whether the latter is satisfied will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
3) If you have seen the problem before and remember the solution, you cannot participate in the solution to that problem.
4) You are allowed to use google, wolframalpha or any other resource. However, you are not allowed to search the question directly. So if the question was to solve an integral, you are allowed to obtain numerical answers from software, you are allowed to search for useful integration techniques, but you cannot type in the integral in wolframalpha to see its solution.

CHALLENGE:

If a, b and c are positive real numbers show that ##a^{a}b^{b}c^{c} \geq (abc)^{\frac{a + b + c}{3}}##

Likes Charles Link, Nugso and QuantumQuest
Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed, this is an HS challenge. So I am deleting my post.

.Scott said:
I just noticed, this is an HS challenge. So I am deleting my post.

Just use the spoiler tag

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just use the spoiler tag
consider this:
K = (2a-b-c)log(a)+ (2b-a-c)log(b)+ (2c-a-b)log(c)
If a, b, and c are all equal, then K=0.
Now make one large - for example let's increase 'a' by a positive amount 'd'.
So the first factor of each term will increase by 2d, -d, and -d. But the second factors will increase by (log(a+d)-log(a)), 0, and 0.
So the increase in the 1st term will more than offset the decreases in the 2nd and 3rd term. Thus K will go positive.
Similar logic can be use to show that decreasing one of them will also force K positive - so long as a, b, and c remain positive.

Any combination of a,b, and c can be created by starting with a,a,a and applying 'd's to get a,b,c. K will be zero when they are all equal and positive otherwise.

So K>=0 and
(2a-b-c)log(a)+ (2b-a-c)log(b)+ (2c-a-b)log(c) >= 0

adding (a+b+c)log(a) + (a+b+c)log(b) + (a+b+c)log(c) to both sides:

(3a)log(a)+ (3b)log(b)+ (3c)log(c) >= (a+b+c)log(a) + (a+b+c)log(b) + (a+b+c)log(c)

dividing both sides by 3:

(a)log(a)+ (b)log(b)+ (c)log(c) >= ((a+b+c)/3) (log(a) + log(b) + log(c))

exponentiation:

a^a b^b c^c >= (abc)^((a+b+c)/3)

QED

Likes QuantumQuest and mfb
.Scott said:
consider this:
K = (2a-b-c)log(a)+ (2b-a-c)log(b)+ (2c-a-b)log(c)
If a, b, and c are all equal, then K=0.
Now make one large - for example let's increase 'a' by a positive amount 'd'.
So the first factor of each term will increase by 2d, -d, and -d. But the second factors will increase by (log(a+d)-log(a)), 0, and 0.
So the increase in the 1st term will more than offset the decreases in the 2nd and 3rd term. Thus K will go positive.
Similar logic can be use to show that decreasing one of them will also force K positive - so long as a, b, and c remain positive.

Any combination of a,b, and c can be created by starting with a,a,a and applying 'd's to get a,b,c. K will be zero when they are all equal and positive otherwise.

So K>=0 and
(2a-b-c)log(a)+ (2b-a-c)log(b)+ (2c-a-b)log(c) >= 0

adding (a+b+c)log(a) + (a+b+c)log(b) + (a+b+c)log(c) to both sides:

(3a)log(a)+ (3b)log(b)+ (3c)log(c) >= (a+b+c)log(a) + (a+b+c)log(b) + (a+b+c)log(c)

dividing both sides by 3:

(a)log(a)+ (b)log(b)+ (c)log(c) >= ((a+b+c)/3) (log(a) + log(b) + log(c))

exponentiation:

a^a b^b c^c >= (abc)^((a+b+c)/3)

Interesting solution and a good one. The most interesting point is how to figure out / reach the starting expression.

It's a good problem, even for people above the high school level to try to solve. (@QuantumQuest showed it to a couple of us before he posted it , and it is a fun problem.) :) :)

Likes QuantumQuest
Greg Bernhardt said:
Challenge Level: High School
Since a legitimate solution was handed in a long time ago, but definitely not one that a high school student can come up with, I think that it's ok to ask what is the solution of @QuantumQuest, or at least a hint.
Personally, I put quite a lot of efforts trying to solve it, but didn't succeed. I tried to play with substituting c=a*d, which seemed promising because I managed to simplify it to b^b*d^d=(bd)^(b+d+1)/3, but then got stuck. After that I thought in the direction of induction, but again couldn't carry it out.

ddddd28 said:
Since a legitimate solution was handed in a long time ago, but definitely not one that a high school student can come up with, I think that it's ok to ask what is the solution of @QuantumQuest, or at least a hint.
Personally, I put quite a lot of efforts trying to solve it, but didn't succeed. I tried to play with substituting c=a*d, which seemed promising because I managed to simplify it to b^b*d^d=(bd)^(b+d+1)/3, but then got stuck. After that I thought in the direction of induction, but again couldn't carry it out.

The problem is at the high school level but it needs to think what to use (i.e. be somewhat creative), otherwise it would not be a challenge. If I give you what I came up with when I solved it (i.e the idea to start with) I'll effectively give you the solution which won't help learning. As a hint, try to find an inequality that involves some relevant to the problem powers and go from there.

1. What is "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4"?

"Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4" is a math competition designed and organized by QuantumQuest, a company that specializes in creating educational programs and challenges for students. It is the fourth installment in their "Math Challenge" series.

2. Who can participate in "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4"?

Any student who is interested and meets the eligibility criteria set by QuantumQuest can participate in "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4". The eligibility criteria may include age, grade level, and/or previous experience in math competitions.

3. What types of math problems are included in "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4"?

"Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4" includes a wide range of math problems, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. These problems are designed to challenge students and test their problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge.

4. How can I register for "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4"?

To register for "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4", you will need to visit the official QuantumQuest website and follow the registration instructions. You may need to provide personal information and pay a registration fee, if applicable.

5. What are the benefits of participating in "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4"?

Participating in "Math Challenge by QuantumQuest #4" can provide several benefits, including sharpening your math skills, gaining experience in math competitions, and potentially winning prizes or recognition. It can also be a fun and challenging way to learn and engage with math concepts.