1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math major and engineering major

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Hello
    I'm a freshmen in college and I am planning on doing a double major for a BS in math and chem e or ee.

Does anyone have experiences with this?
    what should i expect?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    Depending on what math you begin with, many math classes could over lap between your majors.
    For the Math and EE ( I'm not so familiar with reqs for Chem E) you will need Calc 1,2,3 + DE and probably Linear Algebra as well. (The EE major may call Linear Algebra just Matricies or Discrete Math Or some other more generic name where in you learn more than just linear algebra techniques)

Of course you will need more math for the amth major but your first 4 or 5 classes will count towards both majors. Other than that the over lap ceases. That is not to say one will not complememnt the other past that rather that only the initial classes will double up. You may take a higher level Applied Maths course that helps you a lot with your EE but it may not count for anythign in your EE major.

You will be thinking in two different ways once you are into your 3rd and 4th years. The upper division math courses may seem rather vague and abstract and less application oriented. Where as I think Ee in general will feel more application oriented

4. Apr 3, 2008 #3
    at my school the after the overlapping classes it's 7 classes for a math major

5. Apr 3, 2008 #4
    Im a math/computer engineering/ physics guy. If you do math, i figure you will have to do Ba or Bs requirements in addition to an enginneering degree. This means you might have more core classes to take. Otherwise, its a very enjoyable course of study and i wish you the best.
    Also, digital systems processing is a very mathematical subject that you might want to focus on if you choose the EE or CpE route.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Apr 3, 2008 #5
    A lot of the aerospace professors here have minors in math because it was required at MIT (Almost all are from MIT). So, I think its a very good idea.

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6
    Speaking of MIT, my school ranks higher than it in polymers! =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?