1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math problems

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    Math problems!!

I understand how to solve this inequality, but i do not know what sign to put (greater than or less than) in my answer. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this concept to me. THanks

Write a cubic inequality that has this solution:
    -2<X<0, x>3
    (X)(X+2)(X-3)
    (X^2 +2X) (X-3)
    X^3 - X^2 - 6X (< or >) 0

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    Whoa, hold on. What's the inequality?

x>3 into the expression x^3 - x^2 - 6x?

What's the -2<x<0?

cookiemonster

4. Mar 22, 2004 #3
    teh cubic inequality is:
    -2<X<0 and x>3

5. Mar 22, 2004 #4
    I've never heard of a cubic inequality before (other than a cubic polynomial used in an inequality), so I'll just butt out of this before I make a fool of myself again.

cookiemonster

6. Mar 23, 2004 #5
    you can always check if you have the inequality the right way round you do not need a method for checking if its "<" or ">" other than subbing in points

for example
    when x=4, the statement x> 3 is true
    and the statement 4^3-4^2-6*4=24 > 0 is true so the answer better be
    x^3 - x^2 - 6x> 0
    not x^3 - x^2 - 6x <0.

There is no mystery here just sketch the curve y=x^3 - x^2 - 6x
    and notice there are two regions above the x-axis, one region has the property that all x values are between -2 and 0 (-2< x< 0) and the other region is x>3

7. Mar 23, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently the problem is not to "solve an inequality" but to construct an inequality having all numbers between -2 and 0 and all numbers above 3 as solutions.

Start by constructing an equation:

(x-(-2))(x-0)(x-3)= (x+2)(x)(x-3)= x3+ 5x2+ 6x= 0 is 0 at exactly -2, 0, and 3. Since a polynomial is continuous, it can change from positive to negative and vice-versa only where it is 0.

Now check what happens in between: at x= 1, for example,
    13+ 5(12)+ 6(1)= 1+ 5+ 6= 11> 0. Therefore, the inequality x3+ 5x2+ 6x> 0 has x<-2 and 0< x< 3 as solution set.

IF the problem had asked for the complement set: -2< x< 0, x> 3, then we would have tried x= -1, say, and found that
    (-1)3+ 5(-1)2+ 6(-1)= -1+5-6= -2< 0.
    The inequality x3+ 5x2+ 6x< 0 has that solution set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook