Math Question, not sure if it has a solution

• Thread starter Eratosthenes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where there are three constants (a, b, c) and three variables (x, y, z) and the goal is to find values for the variables that result in the sums being in increasing order. The variables are positive integers and the constants are positive rational numbers. It is suggested to set two variables to zero and increment the third, as long as the coefficient of the third variable is not zero. The output is then sorted to find the sums in increasing order.
Eratosthenes
Hi I have a question I will try to explain it as best as I possibly can.

Ok I have sum that look like this:

(a*x^2 + b*y^2 + c*z^2)

a, b, c are constants and are positive rational numbers
x, y, and z are natural numbers

I am trying to find a method to choose values for x, y, and z so I can find all the sums in increasing order. a, b, and c are fixed constants.

So for example if a = 1, b = 1/4, c = 1/9,

then I have: (1*x^2 + (1/4)*y^2 + (1/9)*z^2)

1st Sum: 1.36, with x = 1, y = 1, z = 1
2nd Sum: 1.694 with x = 1, y = 1, z = 2
3rd Sum: 2.11 with x = 1, y = 2, z = 1
4th Sum: 2.25 with x = 1, y = 1, z = 3
5th Sum: 2.44 with x = 1, y = 2, z = 2
6th Sum: 3 with x = 1, y = 2, z = 3
7th Sum: 3.028 with x = 1, y = 1, z = 4
8th Sum: 3.36 with x = 1, y = 3, z = 1
9th Sum: 3.472 with x = 1, y = 3, z = 2
10th Sum: 3.778 with x = 1, y = 2, z = 4

Of course I can different values for a, b, and c. Let's say a = 1/4, b = 2, c = 1/16 so then I'd have:

((1/4) * x^2 + 2*y^2 + (1/16)*c^2), and I'd have to find values for x, y, and z so that the sums would be in increasing order.

Is it possible? And if so any ideas, suggestions? I figure maybe someone here may be familiar with these types of problems. This isn't from a math book or from a math course so I'm not sure where to start. It came up in something else I was doing and I figured it would be fun to find a solution, I just don't want to run around in circles forever if it isn't possible heh. I don't really have a starting point. I tried to find a pattern but I didn't see one. I hope I didn't make any mistakes, it's really late. Thanks.

Edit: If I put this in the wrong section feel free to move it. I am not sure where this belongs so I just posted in general.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hmm..
well since a,b and c are all non-negative and x,y,z are also non-negative
Therefore set y,z to zero and keep incrementing x. The sum will always be increasing.
(Infact fix any two of (x,y,z) to any non-negative value and keep on incrementing the third variable, as long as the coefficient of this third variable isn't zero).

-- AI
P.S -> Am i missing something?

TenaliRaman said:
hmm..
well since a,b and c are all non-negative and x,y,z are also non-negative
Therefore set y,z to zero and keep incrementing x. The sum will always be increasing.
(Infact fix any two of (x,y,z) to any non-negative value and keep on incrementing the third variable, as long as the coefficient of this third variable isn't zero).

-- AI
P.S -> Am i missing something?
Yes my fault terribly sorry. a, b, c are positive rational numbers, and x, y, z are positive integers, so yea nothing can be zero in my problem. I wasn't given this problem I created it and I am using it to solve another larger problem so sorry for the mistakes. Thank you for reading and trying to help.

output, then sort.

a=1 : b=1/4 : c=1/9

for z=1 to Zmax step 1
for y=1 to Ymax step 1
for x=1 to Xmax step 1
Sum = (a*x*x + b*y*y + c*z*z)
append table, Sum, x, y, z
next x
next x
next x

Sort table, Sum

a=1 : b=1/4 : c=1/9

for z=1 to Zmax step 1
for y=1 to Ymax step 1
for x=1 to Xmax step 1
Sum = (a*x*x + b*y*y + c*z*z)
append table, Sum, x, y, z
next x
next y
next z

Sort table, Sum

What is the math question?

The math question is a problem or equation that requires the use of mathematical principles to find a solution.

Why is it unclear if there is a solution?

It may be unclear if there is a solution because the problem is complex or open-ended, or there may be multiple potential solutions.

Is it possible that there is no solution?

Yes, it is possible that there is no solution to a math question. This may be due to the problem being unsolvable or the solution being outside the scope of the problem.

What steps should I take to try to find a solution?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, try to identify any given information and determine what is being asked. Next, use mathematical principles and techniques to solve the problem. If you are unable to find a solution, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

Why is it important to find a solution to a math question?

Finding a solution to a math question is important because it helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also allows us to understand and apply mathematical principles in real-life situations, and can lead to further advancements and discoveries in the field of mathematics.