Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the conversation discussed the current state of the economy and the potential impact of the upcoming election on it. The speakers mentioned the importance of staying informed and being aware of different perspectives. They also talked about the impact of social media on political discourse and the need for critical thinking when consuming information. Overall, the conversation emphasized the importance of taking a proactive approach to understanding the economy and its relationship with politics.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math, Science & Technology Related Trivia Questions

Rules :

# answer without googling - makes it more fun and broadens participation
# only one answer allowed per person - same reasons as above

1. Greek Myth : At the time of creation, everything sprang from an unordered and formless primordial space, which was an amalgam of all things to come. What was this space called ?

2. Some of the rules of this school :
- to abstain from beans
- never to walk on highways
- never to break bread

Which school ?

3. WWI : On April 1 1915, a French pilot attached a machine gun to the front of his cockpit and bolted steel wedges on his propeller blades to deflect bullets. This was the first time mounted armament was used in a war-plane.

Name the pilot.

4. When awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, he made the disgruntled remark : "All science is either physics or stamp collecting."

Who ?

5. What is the noun form of the adjective "state-of-the-art" ? (Sorry for throwing in a language based question)

6. This last one's easy : Whose epitaph reads "He lies here, somewhere" ?

(More on their way...if requested.)

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe 4 is rutherford

My guesses:

1. chaos (or kaos or however one would transliterate it)
2. [ANSWER RESCINDED BY EDIT PER REQUEST]
Should DarkEternal be wrong on 4, maybe Linus Pauling is the right anwer.

Last edited:
DarkEternal - correct

Janitor, you are breaking rule #2, rescind one guess before it is seen - both are correct

Gokul43201 said:
only one answer allowed per person - same reasons as above

Whoops! :redface: Sorry. I didn't read the rules carefully enough.

It won't happen again, I promise. :approve:

More will follow once the above 6 are answered...patience, Pilutor !

Your request has been noted and will be fulfilled.

Number 6 sounds like some kind of a statement a scientist would make. My guess would be Heisenberg.

3 would be... Roland Garros !
Is it not ?

Recon - correct- it's apt that Heisenberg's epitaph is written with "Uncertainty"

humanino - correct - that would be too easy for you parisians. Roland Garros, was also the first European to fly across the Mediterranean; and the tennis stadium in Paris (the venue of the French Open) is named after him.

Okay, folks - 2 and 6 are still up for grabs. Any guesses, anybody ?

Edit : Correction (thanks to The Bob) : It's 2 and 5 that are still open - please feel free to shoot in the dark. There ain't no guillotine for that here. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Okay, folks - 2 and 6 are still up for grabs. Any guesses, anybody ?

What about 5?

The Bob (2004 ©)

5. Prototype?

Nice guess Entropy, but 'prototype' is a different word altogether...whereas I'm looking for the noun form of the given adjective.

2. Cambridge?

Just taking a stab...

Math Is Hard said:
2. Cambridge?

Just taking a stab...

Well...you missed. :cry: :mad: :cry:

2. Let me throw in a BIG clue here : this school is way older than Cambridge...and I don't believe it exists anymore.

5. This one's pretty strightforward if you just think about it - make a sentence with the noun.

2. That bunch of hippy triangle lovers - the Pythagorean school. Despite the fact that they favoured not eating meat (there was a sliding scale of good food and bad food), they had particular hatred for beans, IIRC it was because they came from the Earth (and therefore were close to Hades).

Okay, jcsd with #2. That leaves only #5 to be cracked.

For this one, it's a free for all, including those that have already guessed before.

I can't decide whether I should put the next set of questions here, or start a new thread - ideas ?

6. the state of the art?

Awright... jcsd mopping up the plate with that one. The noun form simply lacks the hyphens.

To, summarize, here's the answers :

1. Greek Myth : At the time of creation, everything sprang from an unordered and formless primordial space, which was an amalgam of all things to come. What was this space called ?

Chaos, what else ?

2. Some of the rules of this school :
- to abstain from beans
- never to walk on highways
- never to break bread

Which school ?

The Pythagorean School They were really a bunch of wackos, eh ?

3. WWI : On April 1 1915, a French pilot attached a machine gun to the front of his cockpit and bolted steel wedges on his propeller blades to deflect bullets. This was the first time mounted armament was used in a war-plane.

Name the pilot.

Rolland Garros of the French Open tennis stadium fame.

4. When awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, he made the disgruntled remark : "All science is either physics or stamp collecting."

Who ?

Lord Rutherford of the alpha-particle, Gold Film experiment.

5. What is the noun form of the adjective "state-of-the-art" ?

state of the art, a compound noun ?

6. This last one's easy : Whose epitaph reads "He lies here, somewhere" ?

Werner Heisenberg, of the Uncertainty Principle.

More questions in new thread titled Math-Sci-Tech Trivia, Round II

1. What is the purpose of the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz"?

The purpose of the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz" is to test and improve knowledge on various topics related to mathematics, science, and technology. It is a fun way to learn and challenge yourself on these subjects.

2. How difficult is the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz"?

The difficulty of the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz" can vary depending on the level of knowledge and understanding of the individual. However, it is designed to have a mix of easy, medium, and challenging questions to accommodate a wide range of players.

3. Can I play the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz" with a group?

Yes, the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz" can be played with a group of people. It can be a fun activity to do with friends, family, or colleagues, and can foster friendly competition and learning together.

4. Are there any prizes for completing the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz"?

Currently, there are no prizes for completing the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz". However, the satisfaction of testing and improving one's knowledge on these subjects can be rewarding in itself.

5. How can I suggest new questions for the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz"?

If you have ideas for new questions to be included in the "Math-Sci-Tech Trivia Quiz", you can reach out to the creators or administrators of the quiz. They may consider adding your suggested questions in future versions of the quiz.