Math Test Question: Guess the Answer

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation is discussing a math question regarding functions that are one-to-one and symmetric about the origin. The given values for the function G and H show that G is not one-to-one and H is symmetric about the origin. The conversation also mentions the concept of odd functions, which are symmetrical about the origin. The participants also express their concerns about determining these properties with only some of the values given.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Like Jasonrox I don't know what you mean I would advise you making
it very clear exactly what the question says because it does not look
anything like any other question I have seen teaching at uni or school.

is F(-2) = 1, F(-1) =-2 ,F(0)=0,F(1) =-1. F(2)=2 ?

If you have something like F(x)=F(y) when x is not y
then the function is not one to one.
eg if F(-1) = 2 and F(2)=2 then the function F is not one to one.

the comment about odd functions is a common question I have taught at uni and school if f(x) = x^3 then f(-x) = -f(x) so x^3 is odd and symmetrical about the origin.

Last edited:
A function is NOT "one-to-one" if f(x)= f(y) for different x and y.
A function is "symmetric about the origin" if f(-x)= -f(x) (A line drawn through the points (x, f(x)) and (-x,-f(x)) has the origin at its center).

I'm not crazy about problems where you are asked to decide something like that given only some of the values (strictly speaking that's impossible!) but assuming that the values given are sufficient, I note that G(-2)= 3= G(2) so G is NOT one to one. Also, H(-2)= 1 and H(2)= -1, H(-1)= -3 and H(1)= 3 so, at least for the values shown, H is symmetric about the origin.

1. What is the purpose of the "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer"?

The purpose of the "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer" is to test the individual's mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities. It challenges the person to use critical thinking to arrive at the correct answer.

2. How do I approach a "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer"?

To approach a "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer", it is important to carefully read the question and understand what is being asked. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use any relevant formulas or concepts to solve it. Finally, double check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the question.

3. Are there any tips for solving "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer" quickly?

Yes, there are a few tips for solving "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer" quickly. First, practice regularly to improve your mental math skills. Second, try to identify any patterns or shortcuts that can help you solve the problem more efficiently. Finally, stay calm and focused during the test to avoid making careless mistakes.

4. Can I use a calculator for "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer"?

It depends on the specific instructions for the math test. Some tests may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to carefully read the instructions before starting the test and follow them accordingly.

5. What should I do if I get stuck on a "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer"?

If you get stuck on a "Math Test Question: Guess the Answer", take a deep breath and try to approach the problem from a different angle. You can also skip the question and come back to it later if time allows. If you are really struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.