Math used in Physics versus other sciences

• I
  • Thread starter Ken Ucarp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, complex mathematical concepts such as Tensors and Hilbert Space, while often associated with physics, have applications in various fields such as biology and economics. These concepts extend the notion of matrices and are commonly used in differential geometry and general relativity. They have been adopted by both mathematicians and physicists, and their close relationship allows for cross-disciplinary applications. Despite their names, these tools are not exclusive to physics and can be applied to a multitude of mundane scenarios.
Ken Ucarp
I've read about complex mathematical things like Tensors, Hilbert Space, and so on. To my uninformed mind it appears they are used as if they are special and specific to Physics. But then I read another thread in this forum where an example was given applying to biology. And I think I've seen discussions of economics using similar terms. I have to admit I've always thought these things were special and only related to the "big physics" I was never smart enough to grasp. But now it seems like they're really just generic man-made as it were, tools that could apply to all kinds of mundane things.

Somebody restore my feeling that physicists (whom I regard as special and gifted people for the bigness of their subject) considering the universe and space and time and fundamental particles aren't using the same tools as economists studying the buying habits of populations of shoppers at malls.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are mathematical concepts that extend the notion of matrices and are often applied to differential geometry, general relativity and other areas. They became well known when Einstein used them in GR. Now Differential Geometry has found many other uses in a lot of fields.

As an example, one such tensor describes the pythagorean distance in a space of any dimensions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor

Other uses are listed at the end of this article on Tensors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor

jedishrfu said:
They are mathematical concepts that extend the notion of matrices and are often applied to differential geometry, general relativity and other areas. They became well known when Einstein used them in GR. Now Differential Geometry has found many other uses in a lot of fields.

As an example, one such tensor describes the pythagorean distance in a space of any dimensions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor

Other uses are listed at the end of this article on Tensors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor
So I think you are confirming my loss. Although your examples contradict your words.

Ken Ucarp said:
I've read about complex mathematical things like Tensors, Hilbert Space, and so on. To my uninformed mind it appears they are used as if they are special and specific to Physics. But then I read another thread in this forum where an example was given applying to biology. And I think I've seen discussions of economics using similar terms. I have to admit I've always thought these things were special and only related to the "big physics" I was never smart enough to grasp. But now it seems like they're really just generic man-made as it were, tools that could apply to all kinds of mundane things.
Of course do these tools apply to a lot of occasions. At its kernel it is often a quantity which varies in time under some external constraints. If this is the flux of a fluid in a pipe, a virus spreading the world, the behavior of shoppers on a black Friday or simply the amount of gas to drive a certain distance doesn't really matter. They are just different set-ups.
Somebody restore my feeling that physicists (whom I regard as special and gifted people for the bigness of their subject) considering the universe and space and time and fundamental particles aren't using the same tools as economists studying the buying habits of populations of shoppers at malls.
The relationship between physics and mathematics is for many reasons an especially close one. This means that they influence each other and many mathematical concepts have been especially developed to solve physical problems. On the other hand, there are purely mathematical concepts which were adopted by physics afterwards: graded algebras have been around long before someone used them for string theory. For both directions of influence exist many examples. The result is that mathematicians will look for physical examples, if they try to imagine applications, and physicists will look up mathematical insights first, if they find or assume new concepts. But mathematical structures play as well an important role in genetics or macro economics. It's just that biologists and economists are far less used to look at what mathematics has to say, than physicists are. This has a couple of reasons. However, these facts are not suited to conclude, that there are mathematical tools which are exclusively available for physics.

Ken Ucarp said:
The tools are often related, the mindset is even more similar, and it is common that particle physicists study things like buying habits of people, traffic flow or similar things after a MSc/PhD.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks all for the great responses. My mellow is fully marshed. I for one think you should change the names of these things so as not to confuse unsuspecting young physicist wannabees. Tensor sounds too much like Tension Object. In general the ending -or sounds like a real thing. How about Multifunc? Hilbert Space. Sounds too physical. How about Hilbert Megamatrix. Think about it! :) (I'm kidding of course, please don't flame me).

Ken Ucarp said:
Tensor sounds too much like Tension Object.
How appropriate!

But my guess is, that it had more to do with stretching linearity to multilinearity. Btw. David Hilbert was a mathematician and no physicist and Hilbert spaces and tensor spaces have a priori nothing to do with each other. I still try to find out the physicists' usage of the term tensor. To me it is as if they always use it, as soon as any product and often even direct sums come into play. It makes me wonder, that they don't use it for the multiplication of ordinary numbers.

FAQ: Math used in Physics versus other sciences

What is the difference between math used in physics and math used in other sciences?

The main difference is that math used in physics is more focused on the quantitative aspects of the natural world, while math used in other sciences may have a more qualitative or descriptive approach. Physics relies heavily on mathematical equations and models to explain and predict physical phenomena, while other sciences may use math as a tool to support qualitative observations and theories.

What are the most common mathematical concepts used in physics?

Some of the most commonly used mathematical concepts in physics include calculus, vectors, differential equations, and linear algebra. These are essential tools for understanding and analyzing physical systems, from simple motion to complex quantum mechanics.

How does the level of math used in physics compare to other sciences?

The level of math used in physics is generally considered to be more advanced and rigorous compared to other sciences. This is because physics deals with highly complex and precise phenomena, requiring more advanced mathematical techniques to accurately describe and predict them. However, all sciences use math in some form, and the level of math required will vary depending on the specific field and research being conducted.

Do all physicists need to have a strong math background?

Yes, a strong math background is essential for success in physics. Many of the fundamental concepts and principles in physics are derived from mathematical equations and models. Without a solid understanding of math, it would be challenging to comprehend and apply these concepts effectively.

Are there any limitations to using math in physics?

While math is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting physical phenomena, it does have its limitations. For example, some phenomena may be too complex or chaotic to accurately model with math, and in these cases, physicists may rely on experimental data and empirical observations. Additionally, the use of math in physics assumes that the underlying physical laws and principles are consistent and universal, which may not always be the case.