[mathematica]- problem with the output

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with Mathematica where it outputs strange symbols instead of the analytical form of eigenvalues for a matrix. The solution is to use the ToRadicals command to obtain the explicit form of the roots. This may result in a long output, but it provides the desired analytical form.
sandoko
Hi everyone, i have a problem with mathematica. I am supposed to compute the eigenvalue of a matrix, and I need the expression for the eigenvalues analytically. But it output strange symbols. and I am unable to decipher what it means.

What I got is an output consisting of words like root and the symbol #. Can you guys explain to me why this happen. is there a way for me to obtain the analytical form all the time?

Attachments

• problem1.nb
    51.5 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
In Mathematica, when a polynomial is complicated enough it will sometimes return Root[p,n] for the n'th root of p[x] instead of the usually numbingly complicated root itself.

Rarely it is possible for Mathematica to find the actual root in that case.

Fortunately in your example if you evaluate
ToRadicals[Eigenvalues[A]]
you will find that it will give you the explicit form of the 3 complicated roots, the last root is zero.

Unfortunately I doubt you are going to be any happier with the 6.5 screenfulls at normal magnification that it takes to show the 3 complicated roots in explicit form. But now you have the analytical form for this particular problem.

oh, thanks for the the explanation especially the ToRadical command.. That's what I need. thanks!

What is Mathematica and how is it used?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific computing. It is often used by scientists and researchers to perform complex calculations, plot graphs, and solve equations. It can also be used for data analysis and visualization.

Why am I getting an error message when trying to run my code in Mathematica?

There are several possible reasons for this. It could be due to a syntax error in your code, missing or incorrect inputs, or incompatible versions of Mathematica. It is important to carefully check your code and inputs to identify and fix any errors.

How can I improve the performance of my code in Mathematica?

There are a few ways to improve the performance of your code in Mathematica. One is to use built-in functions and libraries instead of writing your own code. Another is to minimize the use of loops and instead take advantage of Mathematica's vectorized operations. Additionally, using parallel processing or optimizing your code for a specific hardware architecture can also improve performance.

Why is my output from Mathematica not what I expected?

This could be due to a few reasons. It is possible that there is an error in your code or inputs, leading to incorrect results. It could also be due to a misunderstanding of the functions and algorithms used in Mathematica. It is important to carefully check your code and consult documentation to ensure that your code is producing the desired output.

How do I export my output from Mathematica to a different format?

Mathematica allows you to export your output in a variety of formats, such as PDF, Excel, and image files. To do this, you can use the Export function and specify the desired format. You can also use the Save As option to save your output as a Mathematica notebook (.nb) file.