Cannot Plot This Function in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation is about a user experiencing errors while trying to plot an output in Mathematica. They mention reading the error messages and searching for solutions online, but are still unsure of the issue. They also mention finding two examples online but not finding a direct solution. Another user suggests evaluating the integrals using dummies as a possible solution.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have the following in Mathematica.
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.48 PM.png

Notice h[2,x,0.5] gives me an output in terms of x, but when I try to plot this I get errors. Anyone know why this is? I read the error messages but am still unsure why I am not getting a clean output.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.39 PM.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 930
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.41.48 PM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 925
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes member 428835
jedishrfu said:
Have you googled the error messages? Often other users of Mathematica or Matlab post these questions on forums too and someone may answered it already. ALso I would check the Mathematica website for more info on the error message.

I found these two examples:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/summation-with-mathematica.498250/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40987025/raw-object-1-cannot-be-used-as-an-iterator
Thanks for your response. While the two links didn't explicitly help me, you made me think about digging deeper in what I wrote. Problem was I needed to evaluate the integrals using dummies. Makes sense. Thanks.

Likes jedishrfu

1. Why am I getting an error message "Cannot Plot This Function" in Mathematica?

This error message typically occurs when the function you are trying to plot is not valid or cannot be evaluated by Mathematica. This could be due to various reasons such as incorrect syntax, undefined variables, or unsupported mathematical operations.

2. Can I still plot the function even if Mathematica cannot evaluate it?

No, if Mathematica cannot evaluate the function, it cannot plot it. The plotting function requires the input function to be valid and evaluable in order to generate a plot.

3. How can I fix the "Cannot Plot This Function" error in Mathematica?

The best way to fix this error is to check the syntax and ensure all variables used in the function are defined. If the function contains unsupported mathematical operations, try using alternative functions or simplifying the expression. You can also refer to Mathematica's documentation for a list of supported functions and operations.

4. Are there any alternatives to plotting a function in Mathematica if it cannot be evaluated?

Yes, you can use other software or programming languages such as MATLAB, Python, or R to plot the function. These programs may have different capabilities and support a wider range of functions and operations.

5. Is there a way to bypass the "Cannot Plot This Function" error in Mathematica?

No, bypassing this error is not recommended as it may result in incorrect or misleading plots. It is important to fix the underlying issue causing the error before attempting to plot the function.