Do You Struggle with Mathematical Clumsiness?

• Thread starter farleyknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, the conversation discusses a common problem of making mistakes in math due to sloppy writing and offers tips to improve accuracy, such as writing big, not erasing, and using distinct variable symbols.
farleyknight
Hey all,

I'm need some advice. I'm finding myself making a lot of mistakes. Not because I don't understand certain ideas, but because write things down incorrectly, like dropping an exponent or a prime-mark, or switching an x for a y. I'm trying to write neater and bigger but I still make dumb mistakes. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
- Rob

Mathematics news on Phys.org
YES!

I have to go very slow and be very careful. My problem, I think, is disuse.
During times when I do a lot of math I tend to get better.
Funny how that works.

I strugled with a problem like this for a while. I would work problems through to a number, and then write 68 instead of 86! It will get better with time, but there are a few pointers I can give.

WRITE BIG
This was mostly to accomadate for my sloppy writing, but It could help anyone.

Don't do sub steps within one line. You may already beyond this advice, but make sure both sides of an equation are still exactly balanced as you go down a page.

Don't erase. You can erase one or two errors, but if a line has several errors or took you in the wrong direction, cross it out with a single line. You might save some of the math steps you did because they may be correct. Continue below where you crossed out.

As far as mixing up x and y, I've done that too. Typical variables x, y, and t can all look the same with slopy writting. Try to practice the script x as it is printed in math books. Also, give your t the tail to the right so it dosen't look like a + sign.

To keep different terms seperate, I usually write terms further appart on the paper. For example...

y = 2x^2 + 3x - 5

And exageration, but it really helps if you have complicated terms where you need to work through multiplying and dividing my several negative numbers.That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
If you have a long part of your expression that you keep writing over and over, use dito marks.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot.

What is "Mathematical clumsiness"?

"Mathematical clumsiness" refers to a person's difficulty in understanding and applying mathematical concepts and skills.

What causes "Mathematical clumsiness"?

There are several potential causes of "Mathematical clumsiness", including learning disabilities, lack of practice, and anxiety or negative attitudes towards math.

How can "Mathematical clumsiness" be improved?

Improving "Mathematical clumsiness" may require a combination of strategies, such as seeking support from a tutor or teacher, practicing regularly, and developing a positive mindset towards math.

Is "Mathematical clumsiness" permanent?

No, "Mathematical clumsiness" is not permanent. With effort and support, individuals can improve their mathematical skills and become more confident and proficient in the subject.

Can "Mathematical clumsiness" be prevented?

While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for math, anyone can develop strong mathematical skills with dedication and practice. Therefore, "Mathematical clumsiness" can be prevented by cultivating a positive attitude towards math and consistently practicing and seeking support when needed.