Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar : Possible typo?

In summary, the book defines "formula" as something that has a binary connective between two symbols. The extra parentheses are not needed when the binary connective is between two symbols that are not symbols.
omoplata
I have a question on the textbook "Mathematical Logic: Propositional calculus, Boolean Algebras, predicate calculus" by Rene Cori and Daniel Lascar.

This is not about an exercise but about the conceptual content of the book. So I did not post this in the "Coursework and Homework questions" forum. I hope I'm not breaking the rules.

On Lemma 1.6 on http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...tical logic cori&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false" there is a part that says,
"...if [itex]\mathcal{Y}(W)[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{Y}(V)[/itex] are true, then [itex]\mathcal{Y}(\neg F)[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}(F \wedge G)[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}(F \vee G)[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}(F \Rightarrow G)[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}(F \Leftrightarrow G)[/itex] are also true.".

I think there is a typo there and it should be,
"...if [itex]\mathcal{Y}(W)[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{Y}(V)[/itex] are true, then [itex]\mathcal{Y}(\neg W)[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}((W \wedge V))[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}((W \vee V))[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}((W \Rightarrow V))[/itex], [itex]\mathcal{Y}((W \Leftrightarrow V))[/itex] are also true.",
WITH THE ADDITION OF THE EXTRA PARENTHESES.

I've attached a picture from the next page of the rest of the proof, because that might help, and the google book omits that page.

Propositional Formulas are defined in Definition 1.2 on http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...atical logic cori&pg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false".

Is this a typo is there something I don't understand?

Attachments

• typo.jpeg
    typo.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 563
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the use of 'F' and 'G' instead of "W" and "V" is a typo. I don't see the need for extra parentheses. Does the book distinguish between Y(X) and Y((X)) ?

Well, I didn't see it at first, but the book says on http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...tical logic cori&pg=PA10#v=onepage&q&f=false" that extra parentheses can be omitted.

The extra parentheses are applied only when there is a binary connective between two symbols. Like [itex]\mathcal{Y}((W \wedge V))[/itex]. The problem is according to the definition of a formula in http://books.google.com/books?id=JB...atical logic cori&pg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false", [itex]F \wedge G[/itex] is not a formula, but [itex](F \wedge G)[/itex] is ([itex]F[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex] are also formulas here). So the property [itex]\mathcal{Y}[/itex] applied to that formula is [itex]\mathcal{Y}((F \wedge G))[/itex].

But, since they say that extra parentheses can be omitted, I guess the extra parentheses are not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Mathematical Logic?

Mathematical Logic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of formal systems and their logical foundations. It involves the use of mathematical techniques to analyze and formalize reasoning and arguments.

2. Who are Cori and Lascar?

Cori and Lascar are two mathematicians who co-authored the book "Mathematical Logic". Jean-Louis Cori is a French mathematician who specializes in graph theory and combinatorics, while Daniel Lascar is a French mathematician who works in the fields of model theory and logic.

3. What is the possible typo in "Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar"?

The possible typo is a missing space in the title, it should read "Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar" rather than "Mathematical Logic byCori and Lascar".

4. What topics are covered in "Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar"?

The book covers topics such as propositional logic, first-order logic, model theory, computability theory, and incompleteness theorems. It also includes exercises and examples to aid in understanding and applying the concepts.

5. Is "Mathematical Logic by Cori and Lascar" suitable for beginners?

While the book does cover introductory topics in mathematical logic, it is more suitable for readers with some background in mathematics. It is recommended for undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.