Mathematical Model Homework: Lengthen Time until Shock Stabilised

In summary: But even then, you would need to account for the fact that the damper would still oscillate around that point.
ashclouded
Homework Statement [/b]
Develop a mathematical model that would lengthen the time until the shock stabilised by the given time. T= 2.51 show mathematical analysis of the situation

d(t) = -5e^(-5t) cos (10t) is the original equation for a deflection of a rod in centimetres where t is time and d is deflection.

More info:
once a rod is released at time 0, it will spring back towards rest position where deflection is 0. It will go past rest which is called first rebound before rebounding again, going back through rest. the maximum distance of the rod below the rest position after this first rebound (dm) is used to measure the performance of the damper. dividing this rebound distance by the initial displacement (which is 5cm) gives the rebound ratio for that particular damper. if the ratio is below 1% the damper is working correctly.
I found from the graph that the given function of deflection stabilises around pi/3 but I don't think that's how I'm supposed to do the question

Physics news on Phys.org
ashclouded said:
Homework Statement [/b]
Develop a mathematical model that would lengthen the time until the shock stabilised by the given time.

Why don't you tell us what it means for a shock to be "stabilized by the given time"?

T= 2.51 show mathematical analysis of the situation

d(t) = -5e^(-5t) cos (10t) is the original equation for a deflection of a rod in centimetres where t is time and d is deflection.

More info:
once a rod is released at time 0, it will spring back towards rest position where deflection is 0. It will go past rest which is called first rebound before rebounding again, going back through rest. the maximum distance of the rod below the rest position after this first rebound (dm) is used to measure the performance of the damper. dividing this rebound distance by the initial displacement (which is 5cm) gives the rebound ratio for that particular damper. if the ratio is below 1% the damper is working correctly.
I found from the graph that the given function of deflection stabilises around pi/3 but I don't think that's how I'm supposed to do the question

Once you explain what you are trying to do and show us what calculations you did, perhaps we can help you.

I substituted t into d(t) = -5e^(-5t) cos (10t) and then on the graph I changed the value d(t) = -5e^(-2t) cos (10t) which in turn when graphed changed the time when the damper had converged to about 0 at pi/3 and lengthened the time

LCKurtz said:
Why don't you tell us what it means for a shock to be "stabilized by the given time"?

You didn't answer that question.

Once you explain what you are trying to do and show us what calculations you did, perhaps we can help you.

ashclouded said:
I substituted t into d(t) = -5e^(-5t) cos (10t) and then on the graph I changed the value d(t) = -5e^(-2t) cos (10t) which in turn when graphed changed the time when the damper had converged to about 0 at pi/3 and lengthened the time

If you can't properly pose the problem I can't help you.

The rod is stable when the Y-Axis (Deflection) is equal to zero and so I lengthened the time (X-axis) it took for it to have the deflection = 0
Does that make sense?

ashclouded said:
The rod is stable when the Y-Axis (Deflection) is equal to zero and so I lengthened the time (X-axis) it took for it to have the deflection = 0
Does that make sense?

Not to me. With that model it continues vibrating around ##y=0## so it would never be "stable". You can't assume we have attended your class and read your book. We aren't mind readers here. You have to give us enough information so that we understand the problem. So far, I have no clue what you are really trying to do.

ashclouded said:
Develop a mathematical model that would lengthen the time until the shock stabilised by the given time.
I have no idea what that's asking for.
How can a mathematical model lengthen a time?
What does it mean to lengthen a time by a given time... make it longer by a specified amount? A specified ratio seems more likely.

ashclouded said:
Does that make sense?

The only way the question makes sense (physically or engineering-wise) would be if you could vary the design, so that you could change the '0.5', '5' and/or '10' to some other values to get behavior closer to what you want.

Related to Mathematical Model Homework: Lengthen Time until Shock Stabilised

1. What is a mathematical model?

A mathematical model is a simplified representation of a real-world system or phenomenon using mathematical equations and assumptions. It allows scientists to study and predict the behavior of the system without having to conduct physical experiments.

2. What is meant by "lengthening time" in this mathematical model homework?

In this context, "lengthening time" refers to increasing the duration of the simulation or study being conducted in the mathematical model. This allows for a more in-depth analysis of the system and its behavior over a longer period of time.

3. How does lengthening the time until shock stabilised affect the results of the mathematical model?

Lengthening the time until shock stabilised allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior. It can reveal trends or patterns that may not be evident in shorter simulations and can also help to identify any potential long-term effects of the system.

4. What is the significance of shock stabilisation in this mathematical model?

Shock stabilisation refers to reaching a state of equilibrium or steady state in the system. It is an important concept in mathematical modeling as it allows for the prediction of the long-term behavior of the system, rather than just short-term changes.

5. How can the length of time until shock stabilised be manipulated in the mathematical model?

The length of time until shock stabilised can be manipulated by adjusting the parameters and variables in the mathematical model. For example, changing the initial conditions or altering the equations used to describe the system can affect the time it takes for shock stabilisation to occur.