Solving a Mathematical Puzzle: Ways to Fill an Odiosis Board

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving 4036 boxes with 2 possible combinations each. The first step is to determine the maximum number of combinations, which is 2^4036. However, due to constraints where A cannot equal B, it reduces the number of possibilities to 2^(3027). The conversation also mentions the possibility of missing constraints and presents an alternative way of stating the rules. The total number of combinations is calculated to be 4 x 3^(2017).
TheFallen018
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure what section to put this in, so if this is in the wrong section, please accept my most sincere apologies.

I'm trying to solve this puzzle I've come against, and I'm not quite sure what the best way to go about it is. Here's the question.

View attachment 7980

So, it seems to me that the first thing you'd do is take the maximum number of combinations, which I'm guessing should be 2^4036, due to there being 4036 boxes that each have a possible 2 combinations. Let's take the example with A and B, since the top row is 1 in both boxes, A cannot equal B. Therefore, if A = 0, B has to be equal to 1, or vice versa. By that logic, that takes two possible combinations out of a 4x4 block, making the block instead of having 2^4 possibilities, it now has 2^3 possible combinations. By that logic, there should be 2^(3027) possible numbers.

I feel though that I've missed a good number of constraints. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_14.jpg
    Screenshot_14.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 91
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]
An equivalent way of stating the rules would be that no two adjacent columns can be the same. That gives you 4 ways to fill the first column, and 3 ways to fill each of the remaining columns, for a total of $4\times3^{2017}$.
[/sp]

1. How do I start solving a mathematical puzzle that involves filling an Odiosis board?

The first step in solving any mathematical puzzle is to understand the rules and objectives of the game. For an Odiosis board, the goal is usually to fill all the squares on the board with numbers or symbols in a specific pattern. Once you understand the objective, you can start looking for patterns and strategies to help you solve the puzzle.

2. What strategies can I use to solve an Odiosis board?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve an Odiosis board, including trial and error, process of elimination, and logic-based techniques such as using clues, considering all possible combinations, and making educated guesses. It's important to stay organized and keep track of your progress as you try different strategies.

3. What should I do when I get stuck on a particular square in the Odiosis board?

If you get stuck on a particular square, try using the process of elimination to narrow down the possible solutions. Look for patterns in the surrounding squares and see if there are any clues that can help you determine the correct number or symbol for that square. You can also try making educated guesses and testing them out to see if they fit.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when it comes to solving mathematical puzzles?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. Solving different types of mathematical puzzles, including Odiosis boards, can help you develop critical thinking, logic, and pattern recognition skills. It's also helpful to work with others and discuss strategies and solutions to improve your problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist me in solving an Odiosis board?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available that can assist you in solving an Odiosis board. These include websites with tips and strategies, puzzle-solving apps, and even online communities where you can discuss puzzles and solutions with others. However, it's important to remember that using these resources may take away from the challenge and satisfaction of solving the puzzle on your own.