Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Propagators - Comments

In summary: Urs Schreiber[/URL], post: 5913513, member: 567385"]In summary, the the Feynman propagator has a too much.The table above Definition 9.2 is unbalanced.I have fixed this by hand now, but I don't understand why the converter produced this issue in the first place. My source code is correct at this point. So if I forget about fixing this by hand again next time that I make an update, the problem might reappear.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Propagators
qft_prapagators.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qft_prapagators.png
    qft_prapagators.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 989
Likes vanhees71, dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
- ''the the Feynman propagator'' has a the too much.
- The table above Definition 9.2 is unbalanced.
- \widecheck is undefined
- UV divergences are mentioned repeatedly but each time only in passing without any explanation of how it should be related to the wave front set.

Likes Urs Schreiber
Thanks for these alerts!

A. Neumaier said:
UV divergences are mentioned repeatedly but each time only in passing without any explanation of how it should be related to the wave front set.

I had a brief comment on this, but have made it more prominent now: new remark 9.27.

A. Neumaier said:
- \widecheck is undefined

I had fixed this before, but apparently it came back with my previous update. The trouble is that I have "widecheck" in my source code for the inverse Fourier transform, but the MathJax here does not seem to know this command. As a hack, I have replaced it by "widetilde", but this is sub-optimal. If you or anyone else reading here has a suggestion for how to typeset this with MathJax, please let me know.

A. Neumaier said:
The table above Definition 9.2 is unbalanced.

I have fixed this by hand now, but I don't understand why the converter produced this issue in the first place. My source code is correct at this point. So if I forget about fixing this by hand again next time that I make an update, the problem might reappear.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
dtail ##\to## detail

Likes Urs Schreiber
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
Thanks for these alerts!
I had a brief comment on this, but have made it more prominent now: new remark 9.27.
I had fixed this before, but apparently it came back with my previous update. The trouble is that I have "widecheck" in my source code for the inverse Fourier transform, but the MathJax here does not seem to know this command. As a hack, I have replaced it by "widetilde", but this is sub-optimal. If you or anyone else reading here has a suggestion for how to typeset this with MathJax, please let me know.
I have fixed this by hand now, but I don't understand why the converter produced this issue in the first place. My source code is correct at this point. So if I forget about fixing this by hand again next time that I make an update, the problem might reappear.
You can define macros in mathJax as in LaTeX, using the usual \newcommand command within a math environment. The only drawback is that you get some empty lines, where you place this. I couldn't figure out how to give plain html commands yet. Using plain html you can avoid the blank lines by setting the \newcommand definitions within a paragraph cf. <p style="display:none">...</p>.

vanhees71 said:
You can define macros in mathJax as in LaTeX, using the usual \newcommand command within a math environment.

Thanks, that's useful to know. Do you think this gives a way to produce a "widecheck" here on PF?

1. What is a propagator in mathematical quantum field theory?

A propagator in mathematical quantum field theory is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point in spacetime to another. It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory, used to calculate the probability of interactions between particles.

2. How are propagators related to Feynman diagrams?

Propagators are closely related to Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory. Each line in a Feynman diagram represents a propagator, showing the path of a particle from one vertex to another.

3. Can propagators be used to calculate physical observables?

Yes, propagators are used in quantum field theory calculations to calculate physical observables such as scattering cross sections and decay rates. They provide a mathematical framework for predicting the outcomes of particle interactions.

4. What are the properties of propagators?

Propagators have several important properties, including Lorentz invariance, causality, and unitarity. Lorentz invariance means that the propagator is invariant under transformations of spacetime coordinates. Causality means that the propagator only describes the propagation of particles forward in time. Unitarity requires that the sum of all possible intermediate states in a propagator calculation must equal 1.

5. What are some applications of propagators in quantum field theory?

Propagators have many applications in quantum field theory, including calculating scattering processes, determining the behavior of particles in external fields, and understanding the behavior of particles at high energies. They are also used in the study of quantum field theories in curved spacetime, such as in cosmology and black hole physics.