Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Interacting Quantum Fields - Comments

In summary, Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post discussing the concept of interacting quantum fields in mathematical quantum field theory. The post includes a request to turn a previous discussion into a PF-Insights and a question about an error in the post's equations. The conversation then turns to a discussion about quark confinement and its relation to infrared divergence in QCD. The post also touches on the issue of convergence of perturbation series and the different S-matrix schemes used in experiments. Finally, the conversation briefly mentions the concept of "optimal truncation" and the idea of resurgence of the trans-series in understanding asymptotic perturbation series.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Interacting Quantum Fields
qft_quantumfields.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qft_quantumfields.png
    qft_quantumfields.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,118
Likes bhobba, Devils, dextercioby and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
A few months back we had had some discussion here on orders of ##\hbar## in Feynman diagrams, maybe somebody remembers it and has the link. There was a request back then to turn the reply into a PF-Insights. The corresponding discusssion is now prop. 15.67.

(By the way, does anyone see why equation (253) does not render? Maybe I am too tired now to spot it, I'll try again tomorrow.)

I checked that the maths code is fine in itself (by copy-pasting into a latex environment and rendering.)

Likes bhobba and Urs Schreiber
The error message is supposed to indicate the problem, but I can't see what it's objecting to:

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" display="block">
<merror>
<mtext>\label{OnRegularObservablesQuantumMasterWardIdentityViaTimeOrdered}&#xA0;
&#xA0;&#xA0;\{-S',(-)\}&#xA0;\circ&#xA0;\mathcal{R}^{-1}&#xA0;
&#xA0;&#xA0;\;=\;&#xA0;
&#xA0;&#xA0;\mathcal{R}^{-1}&#xA0;
&#xA0;&#xA0;\left(\left\{&#xA0;-(S'&#xA0;+&#xA0;g&#xA0;S_{int})&#xA0;\,,\,&#xA0;(-)&#xA0;\right\}_{\mathcal{T}}&#xA0;-i&#xA0;\hbar&#xA0;&#xA0;&#xA0;\Delta_{BV}\right)</mtext>
</merror>
</math>

Likes Urs Schreiber
At the end of remark 15.18 you wrote that the phenomenon of quark confinment is "invisible to perturbative quantum chromodynamics in its free field vacuum state, due to infrared divergences."

As I understand, quark confinement occurs already at the energy scale low enough for the coupling constant goes large enough; at this scale perturbation theory gives us divergent series, and we simply don't know what to do and so can't make prediction. I would feel ok if you blame this failure to the lack of a good interacting vacuum, but I don't get why IR divergence has its part in here as IR divergence = caring about arbitrarily low energy scale?

Likes atyy
Duong said:
At the end of remark 15.18 you wrote that the phenomenon of quark confinment is "invisible to perturbative quantum chromodynamics in its free field vacuum state, due to infrared divergences."

As I understand, quark confinement occurs already at the energy scale low enough for the coupling constant goes large enough; at this scale perturbation theory gives us divergent series, and we simply don't know what to do and so can't make prediction. I would feel ok if you blame this failure to the lack of a good interacting vacuum, but I don't get why IR divergence has its part in here as IR divergence = caring about arbitrarily low energy scale?

The remark you refer to is side remark that would deserve much more discussion to do the topic justice. But briefly, the statement is that QCD happens to be strongly coupled at low energies (corresponding to large wavelengths), which is the downside of its "asymptotic freedom", saying that, conversely, it is weakly coupled at high energies (small wavelengths). The low-energy bound states of QCD (protons, neutrons) are invisible to the QCD perturbation series. In this sense it is an IR problem due to an incorrect perturbative vacuum. I should also say that the arguments that a good interacting vacuum would help to address the issue are plausible, but remain conjectural as far as actual mathematics goes, as far as I am aware.

Apart from pointing it out, this issue is not discussed in the lectures. Generally, it remains a fairly white spot on the map of physics.

Notice that, maybe counter-intuitively, this issue is completely unrelated to the convergence of the perturbation series: The perturbation series never converges for non-trivial theories!, neither for large nor for small non-zero coupling (see here for more on the general non-convergence of the perturbation series).

Likes bhobba, vanhees71, dextercioby and 1 other person
I see. My confusion is only due to the words "IR divergence", which I think must necessarily refer to taking the analytic adiabatic limit (which I also understand as not needed.)

Maybe you told me about this, but I forgot some important points:
  • When the coupling is small, do we have a good justification to truncate the series (even for theories that work, e.g. QED)?
  • As I understand, for a fixed physical process, an S-matrix scheme gives an expansion series in the couplings with coefficients being fixed numbers. We then do experiment to find out the values of the couplings. Then how do different S-matrix schemes, giving different expansion series now with necessarily same couplings values, all fit with experiments? i.e. how do different renormalization schemes all work when being compared with experiment?

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Duong said:
When the coupling is small, do we have a good justification to truncate the series (even for theories that work, e.g. QED)?

This is a bit of a black magic.

One thing that people do is called "optimal truncation" or "superasymptotics". Underlying this is a simple rule-of-thumb: Given an asymptotic series, find its smallest contribution, then truncate at this term, i.e. form the finite sum of terms up to this smallest one. At least for some classes of asymptotic series one may prove that the resulting value is the closest to the "actual value" of any function with that asymptotic series. This black magic is called optimal truncation or superasymptotics, see here for pointers. Of course if one does not know the "actual value" (which is the situation of interest), then one still does not know how close one is to it, only that one is as close to it as possible by truncating the given asymptotic series.

If you are seriously interested in making sense of the asymptotic perturbation series, the keyword to go for is "resurgence of the trans-series" (here). I sketched some of this when we talked in Hamburg. It seems that people are slooowly making progress with this idea.

Likes dextercioby, Duong and atyy
Duong said:
As I understand, for a fixed physical process, an S-matrix scheme gives an expansion series in the couplings with coefficients being fixed numbers. We then do experiment to find out the values of the couplings. Then how do different S-matrix schemes, giving different expansion series now with necessarily same couplings values, all fit with experiments? i.e. how do different renormalization schemes all work when being compared with experiment?

Oh, they don't all fit experiment. Only one of them is supposed to be the right one in any given situation. But the point is that the space of renormalization constants is a countable sequence of affine spaces (see theorem 16.14) and picking any one S-matrix serves to pick one point in each of these affine spaces. This makes the affine spaces become vector spaces and allows to express any other (notably the physically correct) S-matrix now as a sequence of actual numbers (the renormalization constants) relative to the fixed "renormalization scheme".

This is an important subtlety, clarified by Epstein-Glaser back in 1973, which many practicing physicists do not appreciate: Without a choice of renormalization scheme, which is like a choice of coordinates on the space of renormalization parameters, there is no sense in which a renormalization parameter (a "quantum correction") is large or small.

Likes vanhees71, dextercioby and Duong
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
then one still does not know how close one is to it,
Well, the error is typically of the order of the last term used or the first neglected term, though this is only a rule of thumb.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71

1. What is the goal of mathematical quantum field theory?

The goal of mathematical quantum field theory is to provide a rigorous mathematical framework for describing and understanding the behavior of quantum fields, which are the fundamental entities that make up our physical universe. It aims to unite the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, with the principles of special relativity, which govern the behavior of particles at high speeds.

2. What is an interacting quantum field?

An interacting quantum field is a quantum field that not only describes the behavior of individual particles, but also takes into account their interactions with each other. In contrast to free quantum fields, which do not interact with each other and can be described by simple mathematical equations, interacting quantum fields require more sophisticated mathematical tools and techniques to study.

3. What are the challenges in studying interacting quantum fields?

Studying interacting quantum fields poses several challenges, including the need to deal with infinities that arise in calculations, the difficulty of solving the equations that describe their behavior, and the lack of experimental data to test theoretical predictions. As a result, much of the work in mathematical quantum field theory involves developing new mathematical methods and techniques to overcome these challenges.

4. How are comments used in mathematical quantum field theory?

Comments, also known as "remarks" or "notes," are a common tool used in mathematical quantum field theory to supplement and clarify the main text. They may provide additional details, explanations, or alternative perspectives on the material, or they may point out potential issues or areas for further research. Comments are typically indicated by a number or asterisk in the main text and are located at the bottom of the page or at the end of the chapter or book.

5. What are some applications of mathematical quantum field theory?

Mathematical quantum field theory has a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in other fields such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering. Some specific applications include understanding the behavior of elementary particles, developing quantum field theories for different physical systems, and exploring the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.