Where can I find resources for learning mathematical proofs from scratch?

In summary, there are many resources available for learning mathematical proofs from scratch. Online platforms such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX offer free courses and tutorials on proof techniques and concepts. Textbooks, such as "How to Prove It" by Daniel J. Velleman, are also great resources for self-study. Additionally, many universities offer open courseware or lecture videos on proof-based courses. Joining online communities and forums, such as Math Stack Exchange, can also provide valuable insights and practice problems. Overall, with dedication and persistence, one can easily find resources to learn mathematical proofs from scratch.
vulpe
Hey guys, I just recently transferred to the mathematics department at University of Illinois as a junior undergrad and one of the classes I'm required to take this fall is called Mathematical Reasoning and I'm pretty sure it has to do with proofs... Which I know absolutely nothing about! What is a good resource (book, video, website) where I can start learning this stuff from ground 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the best way to learn mathematical reasoning is to just choose any topic that you find interesting and read rigerous textbooks for that topic.

If you are interested in calculus I would suggest "ISBN: 9780387904597 Elementary analysis : the theory of calculus, Author: Kenneth A. Ross."

If you are interested in Algebra I would suggest "Introduction to Abstract Algebra, by Neal H. McCoy and Gerald J. Janusz ISBN: 9780982263310"

Thank you for the replies guys! Also thanks to the moderator for moving my thread, greatly appreciated :D

I will check out the links to both books and try to get a head start on this subject before fall classes start. I'm worried about the class, a lot :((, I have no experience in this area whatsoever. I did just fine in calculus and differential equations... but they kind of work off one another. This seems like a totally different area of maths.

Don't worry about it. Just study the definitions carefully and do a lot of simple-looking exercises, and you'll do fine.

I just finished a junior level course in mathematical proofs. We used the 3rd edition of this book: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...athematical+proofs,aps,1188&tag=pfamazon01-20 . I purchased the 2nd edition to save money, and comparing side-by-side, the two editions aren't that different. It reads relatively easily, and has sections on logic, truth tables, logical equivalence, direct proofs, proof by contradiction, minimum counter example proofs, induction, strong induction. Our class mostly did number theory to focus on the methods of proofs, other professors just into a couple new advanced topics (e.g. rings) and they learn how to prove along the way.

A discrete math text would also be worth looking into for logic, and goodwillbooks.com will probably have one that you can get to your door for less than $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much to everyone, I cannot tell you how much this helps and encourages me :D **mr bean style thumbs up** lol

I learned what proving something "meant" by reading Spivak's Calculus and doing the exercizes. Then comparing my solutions to the one's in the solution manuel (I had no teacher).

Has anyone ever used the Demystified series Math Proofs? I'm currently using that book to get started because all the other suggestions are damn hard to follow at the moment. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm just wasting my time with this book?

1. What is the purpose of a Mathematical Reasoning course?

The purpose of a Mathematical Reasoning course is to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities through the application of mathematical concepts and principles.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Mathematical Reasoning course?

Topics covered in a Mathematical Reasoning course may include logic and reasoning, number systems, algebraic thinking, geometry, statistics, and probability.

3. How will taking a Mathematical Reasoning course benefit me?

A Mathematical Reasoning course can benefit you by improving your analytical skills, decision-making abilities, and overall understanding and appreciation of mathematics. It can also help you in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and finance.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to take a Mathematical Reasoning course?

No, you do not need to have a strong math background to take a Mathematical Reasoning course. However, some familiarity with basic mathematical concepts and operations may be helpful.

5. What are some real-world applications of mathematical reasoning?

Mathematical reasoning has many real-world applications, such as analyzing data and making predictions, designing and conducting experiments, and creating models to solve complex problems in fields such as science, economics, and technology.