Math Books for Hobbyists: Boost Interest & Attention

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in studying math as a hobby and their struggle with getting stuck on tough problems. They mention a previous successful experience with Paul Dawkin's online textbooks and ask for recommendations for similar books in other areas such as Discrete Maths, Linear Algebra, complex analysis, and PDE. The other person provides several suggestions for textbooks in these areas, with a focus on those with many solved examples or solution manuals. They also advise the person to fully complete and understand these books before attempting more advanced topics.
SamitC
I am studying maths out of hobby. I feel sometimes that I can not move ahead because I get stuck with tough problems. Even after I move ahead, when i come back after quite some time, i get stuck with the same problems. Sometimes it is frustrating. And my interest and attention levels are going down.

Earlier, while learning calculus, i referred Paul Dawkin's online textbooks. There were no exercises but a good number (not too many) of solved examples selected in a very methodical manner for understanding. The flow was excellent. I could finish the courses and it helped me to understand each chapters and overall picture very well. It worked for me. And most importantly - it kept my interest and attention increasing. With that knowledge I successfully attempted solving many exercises from various sources.

I am looking for similar types of books in other areas like Discrete Maths, Linear Algebra, complex analysis, PDE etc.
Can you pls. help me with the name of those books (online or paper books) in case you are aware of?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would actually work through a real Calculus textbook. I like Moise: Calculus. It is a between Spivak and Thomas textbook. Another book I like is Thomas: Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed.

For Linear Algebra: You can start reading Anton: Elementary Linear Algebra. I have the 10th ed (Very Cheap), and I like the layout of the book compared to older editions. It has a great balance of Theory/Application. My only problem with the book, is that Linear Transformations are mentioned really late.

After Anton's book, you can jump to Friedberg/Insel/Spence: Linear Algebra, or maybe even Shilov: Linear Algebra.

For Differential Equations: Ross: Differential Equations, not the Introduction to Differential Equations, is a very excellent book. One of my favorite math books.

I would learn from these books before attempting PDE, Discrete, etc. It should take you 1 to maybe 2 year to fully complete and understand these books.

MidgetDwarf said:
I would actually work through a real Calculus textbook. I like Moise: Calculus. It is a between Spivak and Thomas textbook. Another book I like is Thomas: Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed.

For Linear Algebra: You can start reading Anton: Elementary Linear Algebra. I have the 10th ed (Very Cheap), and I like the layout of the book compared to older editions. It has a great balance of Theory/Application. My only problem with the book, is that Linear Transformations are mentioned really late.

After Anton's book, you can jump to Friedberg/Insel/Spence: Linear Algebra, or maybe even Shilov: Linear Algebra.

For Differential Equations: Ross: Differential Equations, not the Introduction to Differential Equations, is a very excellent book. One of my favorite math books.

I would learn from these books before attempting PDE, Discrete, etc. It should take you 1 to maybe 2 year to fully complete and understand these books.

I think what OP is looking for is books with many solved examples or one(s) with solution manuals. He also says he has done calculus and now looking for such books in Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, complex analysis, PDE etc.

1. What is the purpose of "Math Books for Hobbyists"?

The purpose of "Math Books for Hobbyists" is to increase interest and attention in mathematics among non-professionals who have a passion for the subject.

2. Who are these math books targeted towards?

These math books are targeted towards hobbyists who have a general interest in mathematics but are not pursuing it as a career.

3. What topics are covered in these math books?

These math books cover a wide range of topics, including basic arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and more advanced topics such as calculus and statistics. They also include fun and engaging activities and puzzles to keep readers interested.

4. Can these math books be used by beginners?

Yes, these math books are designed for hobbyists with little to no mathematical background. They start with basic concepts and gradually increase in difficulty, making them accessible for beginners.

5. How can these math books boost interest and attention in mathematics?

These math books use creative and interactive methods to make learning mathematics more enjoyable and engaging. They also showcase the practical applications of math in everyday life, helping readers see the value and relevance of the subject.