Mathematics for Physics in Zurich 16/17

In summary, eluding most math class' and homework as a youngster deprived oneself effectively of a tool on which one is dependent nowadays; while studying physics in the upcoming winter semester, one needs to prepare, no relearn and refurbish their understanding of the required mathematics. Having been an ignorant for such a long time, one would like to ask people who have already cultivated a joy and deep understanding of the subjects to help maneuver through this; after listening to realnoob, one should study:-Analysis-Linear Algebra-Mathematical methods for physicsas the absolute minimum to truly comprehend physics.
Aki's Notes
Hello Board!By eluding most math class' and homework as a youngster
I have deprived myself effectively of a tool on which I am dependent nowadays.
My love for mathematics if ever existent was ephemeral, unpredictable in its manifestation.
I would either almost fail the class or would have finished the entire math book before we even had reached 3/4 of the school year.

Today, seven years later at the age of 25 I have set my mind to study physics in the upcoming winter semester 16/17 in Zurich
and I need to prepare, no relearn and refurbish my understanding of the required mathematics.

Having been an ignorant for such a long time I would like to ask you people,
who have already cultivated a joy and deep understanding of the subjects, to help me manoeuvre through this.
This will be hopefully a guide for many years to come.

What math and in which order should I learn the material to truly comprehend physics?All I can give you in return is my sincerest effort and deep felt gratitude.
Cheers,
Aki
PS: Yes, I might have an awkward English it is my second language with German being my first but I do understand it quite well so please don't hesitate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aki's Notes said:
Hello Board!By eluding most math class' and homework as a youngster
I have deprived myself effectively of a tool on which I am dependent nowadays.
My love for mathematics if ever existent was ephemeral, unpredictable in its manifestation.
I would either almost fail the class or would have finished the entire math book before we even had reached 3/4 of the school year.

Today, seven years later at the age of 25 I have set my mind to study physics in the upcoming winter semester 16/17 in Zurich
and I need to prepare, no relearn and refurbish my understanding of the required mathematics.

Having been an ignorant for such a long time I would like to ask you people,
who have already cultivated a joy and deep understanding of the subjects, to help me manoeuvre through this.
This will be hopefully a guide for many years to come.

What math and in which order should I learn the material to truly comprehend physics?All I can give you in return is my sincerest effort and deep felt gratitude.
Cheers,
Aki
PS: Yes, I might have an awkward English it is my second language with German being my first but I do understand it quite well so please don't hesitate.
I am also studying in Zurich, 3rd year of physics. I didn't get if you want to study in your spare time or at a university. In your spare time, you should do:

-Analysis
-Linear Algebra
-Mathematical methods for physicsThis is the absolute minimum to learn physics afterwards (assuming you can handle probability intuitively).
Just look up books on these subjects, I'm afraid I can't help you on which though because I didn't use books in my undergraduate courses. Mathematical methods should have one called "Courant Hilbert" which is good (but very long and you won't need everything).

Now for a piece of life advice: I also started studying physics late. I was an excellent economics student, now I'm an average physics student. If I could go back, I would. The world of physics has been full of anti-social people, uninterested in whether you're understanding the subject, overly difficult exams made to fail a percentage of the class and arrogance for me. In my opinion, nothing good can flourish in such an environment. I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays. I was wrong.

Likes Aki's Notes
realnoob said:
I am also studying in Zurich, 3rd year of physics. I didn't get if you want to study in your spare time or at a university. In your spare time, you should do:

-Analysis
-Linear Algebra
-Mathematical methods for physicsThis is the absolute minimum to learn physics afterwards (assuming you can handle probability intuitively).
Just look up books on these subjects, I'm afraid I can't help you on which though because I didn't use books in my undergraduate courses. Mathematical methods should have one called "Courant Hilbert" which is good (but very long and you won't need everything).

Now for a piece of life advice: I also started studying physics late. I was an excellent economics student, now I'm an average physics student. If I could go back, I would. The world of physics has been full of anti-social people, uninterested in whether you're understanding the subject, overly difficult exams made to fail a percentage of the class and arrogance for me. In my opinion, nothing good can flourish in such an environment. I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays. I was wrong.

Thank you for your answer realnoob!
I have heard similar stories from friends while I was in Vienna,
it seems that the subject of Physics tends to accumulate people with specific traits.
To clarify any misunderstandings, I want to study in Zurich at the ETH
but would prepare myself in private, secluded from any course.Your last sentence intrigues me the most:
I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays.
I was wrong.

Would you be willing to elaborate on that any further?
My main motivation for learning physics is to become an entrepreneur in a more technical field
and be able to understand what the specifics of the given undertakings are.
I have a feeling that this is going to be quite educational, if I may say so.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of studying Mathematics for Physics in Zurich 16/17?

The purpose of studying Mathematics for Physics in Zurich 16/17 is to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics. These skills are necessary for successful completion of advanced physics courses and for pursuing a career in physics or related fields.

2. What topics are covered in the Mathematics for Physics course in Zurich 16/17?

The course covers a range of topics including calculus, linear algebra, complex analysis, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These topics are specifically chosen to complement the physics curriculum and provide students with the necessary mathematical tools to understand and solve problems in physics.

3. Is prior knowledge of math required for this course?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is necessary for this course. Students should have prior knowledge of basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also recommended to have completed a calculus course before taking this course.

4. Are there any prerequisite courses for Mathematics for Physics in Zurich 16/17?

Yes, students are required to have completed an introductory physics course and a calculus course before enrolling in Mathematics for Physics. It is also recommended to have a strong understanding of basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

5. How is the Mathematics for Physics course structured in Zurich 16/17?

The course is typically divided into lectures, problem solving sessions, and tutorials. In lectures, the concepts and theories are introduced and explained by the instructor. In problem solving sessions, students work on practice problems to reinforce their understanding of the material. Tutorials provide an opportunity for students to work on more challenging problems and receive feedback from the instructor.