Mathematics necessary for relativity, quantum mechanics, etc?

In summary: This can be quite challenging, but there are many resources available to help. In summary, if you are interested in understanding Einstein's theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, and the work of famous physicists like Heisenberg, Dirac, and Einstein, it is recommended that you read modern presentations rather than the original papers. It is also important to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and functions of multiple variables. Differential geometry, vector and tensor analysis, and partial differential equations are also essential for a deeper understanding of these subjects. It is recommended to supplement your studies with books like Lang, Axler, Schutz, Taylor & Wheeler, and Moore. Isham and Ballentine are also good resources for quantum mechanics. However, an
lesdavies123
Hi,

First of all, I am an undergraduate Chemistry student, but who is also very interested in various areas of science (most actually :P), but like many other people I am especially curious about Einstein's theory of relativity, quantum mechanics and I especially would like to be able to read the papers of the famous physicists like Heisenberg, Dirac and Einstein and understand the mathematics of their theories in depth. As you may know, studies in Chemistry are disappointingly spare in mathematics courses (pretty basic calculus and linear algebra), so as of next term I'm taking extra math classes for the heck of it, but I want to start as early in my math studies as possible (anxious to start) so can you guys tell me what branches of mathematics I'm missing, that I should study. Book suggestions for theses subjects would also be very appreciated. Thank you for your answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you're specifically interested in the history of physics, I would strongly recommend that you read modern presentations instead of the original papers. Actually, even if's the history you're interested in, I would still recommend that you read the modern presentations first.

At the very least you need a standard introductory text on calculus, like the one by Serge Lang, and a book on linear algebra like Axler or Friedberg, Insel and Spence. (Axler is mainly intended for people who are already familiar with matrices, but I wouldn't say that you have to have studied that before). I don't recall if Lang's book covers functions "of multiple variables" at all. (These are really just functions defined on ℝn instead of ℝ). You need to study the basics about those too. It's especially important that you understand partial derivatives.

People always mention differential equations in these threads, but my opinion is that if you have a solid understanding of derivatives, you will have no problem understanding the concept of differential equations, and no problem understanding the solutions of differential equations that you will find in physics books. In other words, it's a good thing if you study them too, but it's not essential.

My favorite presentation of SR is the one in the early chapters of Schutz. You should definitely read a presentation that emphasizes spacetime diagrams (sometimes called Minkowski diagrams) instead of algebraic manipulations. Other authors whose books are often recommended as easy introductions are Taylor & Wheeler, and Moore.

(This paragraph was added in an edit the same minute as Chestermiller's reply). If you're also going to study GR, you will need differential geometry. The books by Lee are the best. You will however find them pretty difficult if you haven't studied some analysis and topology.

The only introductory book on QM that I've studied is one I didn't like, so it's hard to recommend an introductory book. But Griffiths looks good to me. It doesn't cover as wide a range of topics as e.g. Zettili (which certainly looks like a good alternative), but the idea isn't to learn how to calculate as much as possible, but to quickly get to the point where you understand the basics. For that I think Griffiths looks good. I would supplement it with Isham. If you want to know more, you can move on to Ballentine after that.

Unfortunately, an in depth understanding of the mathematics of QM requires that you study a lot of calculus and analysis, linear algebra, topology, integration theory, some abstract algebra, and a ridiculous amount of functional analysis. Most physicist don't do this. A reasonable compromise is to study linear algebra in detail, so that you have a thorough understanding of finite-dimensional vector spaces, and let the mathematicians worry about what actually makes sense in the infinite-dimensional vector spaces of QM.

You should do a search for similar threads. There are lots of them.

Last edited:
You also need to learn differential geometry, vector and tensor analysis, and partial differential equations.

1. What are the key mathematical concepts required for understanding relativity?

The key mathematical concepts required for understanding relativity include differential and integral calculus, vector calculus, and tensor calculus. These mathematical tools are necessary for describing the curvature of space-time and the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

2. How is mathematics used in quantum mechanics?

Mathematics is used extensively in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Some of the key mathematical concepts used in quantum mechanics include linear algebra, complex numbers, and probability theory.

3. What is the role of mathematics in general relativity?

The role of mathematics in general relativity is crucial, as it is the mathematical framework used to describe the relationship between space, time, and gravity. The mathematics of general relativity is based on differential geometry, which provides a way to describe the curvature of space-time.

4. How does calculus play a role in understanding quantum mechanics?

Calculus plays a critical role in understanding quantum mechanics, as it is used to describe the behavior of particles in terms of wavefunctions. The Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, is a differential equation that uses calculus to describe the time evolution of a particle's wavefunction.

5. What are some of the mathematical challenges in studying relativity and quantum mechanics?

Some of the mathematical challenges in studying relativity and quantum mechanics include the use of complex numbers and non-Euclidean geometry, which can be difficult to visualize and understand. Additionally, the mathematical concepts used in these theories are often abstract and require a strong background in advanced mathematics.