What Are the Best Mathematical Introductions to Yang-Mills Theory?

In summary, there are several recommended texts for learning about Yang-Mills theory in terms of connections of principal bundles, including "Differential Geometry - Cartan's Generalization of Klein's Erlangen Program" by R.W. Sharpe, "Geometry, Topology, and Physics" by M. Nakahara, "Modern Differential Geometry for Physicists" by Chris Isham, "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee, "Topology, Geometry and Gauge Fields" by Gregory Naber, "The Geometry of Physics" by Theodore Frankel, "Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity" by Baez & Muniain, "Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists" by Mari
paweld
Could anyone give me a reference to a good mathematical introduction to Yang-Mills theory.
I'm interested mainly in a formulation of this theory in terms of connections of principal bundles.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what level you're looking for, but I find Differential Geometry - Cartan's Generaization of Klein's Erlangen Program by R.W. Sharpe to be an excellent text. You could also try, Geometry, Topology, and Physics by M. Nakahara.

Last edited:
The book "Modern differential geometry for physicists" by Chris Isham is a very good place to start. It explains what you need to know about bundles, Lie group actions, etc. Unfortunately it doesn't go all the way. It doesn't cover integration on manifolds and the YM Lagrangian.

If you don't know integration on manifolds already, the book "Introduction to smooth manifolds" by John M. Lee is a good place to learn it.

I don't know what's the best place to continue after Isham. The one that looks the best to me (judging only by the table of contents) is "Topology, geometry and gauge fields" Gregory Naber. It seems to cover a lot of the stuff that's covered in Isham too, so you may not even need Isham (but it can't be a bad idea to get both). A few other books that look interesting:

"The geometry of physics" Theodore Frankel
"Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity" Baez & Muniain
"Differential geometry and Lie Groups for physicists" Marián Fecko

There's also a review article called "Preparation for gauge theory" by George Svetlichny. I found it too hard to read, so I can't really recommend it for anything other than the quick intro to group actions on the first few pages.

Last edited:
I'd add the following reference: Drechsler & Mayer : <Fiber Bundle Techniques in Gauge Theories>.

Thanks a lot.

After I've learned the needed mathematics where can I find a formulation of YM theory
in this language?

1. What is the YM theory in mathematics?

The Yang-Mills (YM) theory is a mathematical theory that describes the interactions between elementary particles, such as quarks and gluons, through the use of gauge fields. It is a cornerstone of modern theoretical physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How is YM theory related to physics?

The YM theory was originally developed in the field of physics to explain the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in the universe. However, it has since been applied to other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics, making it a vital tool in understanding the behavior of matter and energy.

3. What is the significance of the YM theory in mathematics?

The YM theory is a highly complex and advanced mathematical theory that has been instrumental in many breakthroughs in physics, such as the Standard Model of particle physics. It has also paved the way for new developments in mathematics, including the study of differential geometry and topology.

4. How does the YM theory contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The YM theory is a fundamental part of our current understanding of the universe. It helps us explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, as well as the structure of matter and the forces that govern it. It also provides a framework for understanding other scientific theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any current challenges or unresolved issues in the mathematics of YM theory?

While the YM theory has been successful in many areas, there are still some challenges and unresolved issues that remain. One of the main challenges is the development of a complete and consistent mathematical framework for the theory, as well as finding ways to apply it to other areas of physics, such as gravity. There are also ongoing efforts to better understand the behavior of Yang-Mills fields in extreme conditions, such as at high energies or in the early universe.