Maths: Question on Ratios, proportions, and percentages

• Thread starter Kaushik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratios
In summary, Amal, Geoffrey, and Julia each have some fireworks. If Amal gives half of his fireworks to Geoffrey, then Amal and Geoffrey will have in a 2:3 ratio. If Julia has 1/5th as many as Geoffrey (after Amal gives half his fireworks to Geoffrey), then what is the ratio of the number of fireworks Amal has to the number of fireworks Julia has?
Kaushik
Homework Statement
Amal, Geoffrey, and Julia each have some fireworks. If Amal gives half of his fireworks to Geoffrey, then Amal and Geoffrey will have in a 2:3 ratio. If Julia has 1/5th as many as Geoffrey (after Amal gives half his fireworks to Geoffrey), then what is the ratio of the number of fireworks Amal has to the number of fireworks Julia has?
Relevant Equations
Check the figure
Amal, Geoffrey, and Julia each have some fireworks. If Amal gives half of his fireworks to Geoffrey, then Amal and Geoffrey will have in a 2:3 ratio. If Julia has 1/5th as many as Geoffrey (after Amal gives half his fireworks to Geoffrey), then what is the ratio of the number of fireworks Amal has to the number of fireworks Julia has?

My attempt is given below

1583521726289.png

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good for the final ratio, but the problem statement might ask about the original ratio (otherwise the information about giving fireworks away wouldn't matter and you could directly use the final ratios).

mfb said:
otherwise the information about giving fireworks away wouldn't matter and you could directly use the final ratios
I am not sure I understand this part.

When I read the question, I interpret the problem statement as asking for the final ratio. Where exactly am I misinterpreting it?

Kaushik said:
I am not sure I understand this part.

When I read the question, I interpret the problem statement as asking for the final ratio. Where exactly am I misinterpreting it?

I agree with your solution. If you change the question to the initial ration, then it's 20:3.

You can put in some numbers to see the book solution is wrong.

Likes Kaushik
PeroK said:
I agree with your solution. If you change the question to the initial ration, then it's 20:3.

You can put in some numbers to see the book solution is wrong.
Are they asking us to find initial ration or final ration? According to the book solution, they found the final ration. But when I read it, I feel like they are asking for the initial ration.

BTW this question is from Kaplan for the SAT Maths.

Kaushik said:
Are they asking us to find initial ration or final ration? According to the book solution, they found the final ration. But when I read it, I feel like they are asking for the initial ration.

BTW this question is from Kaplan for the SAT Maths.

Does it matter? Your solution is good. Move on.

Likes Kaushik
PeroK said:
Does it matter? You're solution is good. Move on.
The answer I got wasn't there in the options. So from what your saying, the book solution must be off.

Kaushik said:
The answer I got wasn't there in the options. So from what your saying, the book solution must be off.
Looks that way.

Likes Kaushik
Suppose (at the beginning) Amal had 20 and Julia has 1.

Amal gives 10 to Geoffrey, leaving himself 10 and making Geoffrey up to 15 (to satify the 2:3 ratio). So, Geoffrey had 5 to begin with and now has 15. That's the 5:1 ratio with Julia (but before Geoffrey got Amal's fireworks!).

These word puzzles often end up like this. A hopeless muddle of words and confusion all round.

Likes Kaushik

1. What is the difference between a ratio and a proportion?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities, while a proportion is an equation that states that two ratios are equal. In other words, a proportion is a statement that two ratios are equivalent.

2. How do you solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you can use the cross-multiplication method. This involves multiplying the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio, and then setting the two products equal to each other. You can then solve for the unknown value using basic algebraic principles.

3. What is a percentage?

A percentage is a fraction or ratio expressed as a number out of 100. It is often used to compare quantities or to express a part of a whole. For example, if you have 25 out of 100 marbles, you can say that you have 25% of the marbles.

4. How do you convert a fraction to a percentage?

To convert a fraction to a percentage, you can multiply the fraction by 100. This will give you the percentage equivalent of the fraction. For example, if you have the fraction 3/4, you can multiply it by 100 to get 75%, which is the percentage equivalent.

5. How are ratios, proportions, and percentages used in real life?

Ratios, proportions, and percentages are used in many different fields, including finance, cooking, and science. For example, in finance, ratios and percentages are used to analyze financial statements and make investment decisions. In cooking, proportions are used to ensure that ingredients are measured accurately. In science, percentages are used to express the concentration of a solution or the composition of a substance.