Matlab help — How to replace a word using findstr?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter tdang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, to replace a word using findstr in Matlab, you can use the strrep function with the index of the word to be replaced. This can be done for multiple occurrences of a word by using the 'all' option. To ensure only the exact word is replaced, use the 'exact' option. If the word is not found, no replacements will be made. Regular expressions can also be used for replacement.
tdang
TL;DR Summary
How to replace a word using findstr
Matlab help!
Hello
I want to create a sentence 2

sen1: I love flower
str1: love
str2: hate

How can I create sen2= "I hate flower" using findstr and array concatenation?

Physics news on Phys.org
In any case, for reliable use in large documents, you should do something to only replace whole words and to match regardless of capitalization. I am sure that MATLAB has some regular expressions to allow that.

There is an extrensive documentation from Matlab on strings here which should cover everything you need. Take a look at strrep for example.

Likes FactChecker

1. How do I use findstr in Matlab to replace a word in a string?

To replace a word using findstr in Matlab, you can use the strrep function. This function takes three input arguments: the original string, the word you want to replace, and the new word you want to replace it with. For example, if you want to replace the word "hello" with "hi" in the string "hello world", you would use the following code:
strrep("hello world", "hello", "hi"). This will return the string "hi world".

2. Can findstr replace multiple occurrences of a word in a string?

Yes, findstr can replace multiple occurrences of a word in a string. You can use the 'replace all' option in the strrep function to replace all occurrences of the word in the string. For example, if you want to replace all instances of the word "cat" with "dog" in the string "I have a cat and a dog", you would use the following code:
strrep("I have a cat and a dog", "cat", "dog", "all"). This will return the string "I have a dog and a dog".

3. Is there a way to ignore case sensitivity when using findstr to replace a word?

Yes, there is a way to ignore case sensitivity when using findstr in Matlab. You can use the 'ignorecase' option in the strrep function to ignore the case of the word you want to replace. For example, if you want to replace the word "apple" with "orange" in the string "I have an apple", but want to ignore the case of the word, you would use the following code:
strrep("I have an apple", "Apple", "orange", "ignorecase"). This will return the string "I have an orange".

4. Can I use findstr to replace words in multiple strings at once?

Yes, you can use findstr to replace words in multiple strings at once by using cell arrays. Cell arrays allow you to store multiple strings in one variable. You can then use a for loop to iterate through the cell array and replace words in each string using the strrep function. For example, if you have a cell array of strings called "myStrings" and you want to replace "hello" with "hi" in each string, you would use the following code:
for i = 1:length(myStrings)
myStrings{i} = strrep(myStrings{i}, "hello", "hi");
end
. This will replace "hello" with "hi" in each string in the cell array.

5. Are there any alternatives to using findstr to replace words in a string?

Yes, there are a few alternatives to using findstr to replace words in a string. One alternative is to use the replace function, which allows you to replace words in a string without needing to use the strrep function. Another alternative is to use regular expressions with the regexprep function. Regular expressions offer more advanced search and replace capabilities. You can also use the replaceBetween function to replace a word within a specific range of characters in a string. It is important to choose the best method based on your specific needs and the complexity of the replacements you want to make.