Matlab Simulink: Simulate the height of ball thrown upward

In summary, the conversation discusses using Simulink to simulate the variation of height with time for a ball thrown with an initial velocity of 10m/s and an initial height of 0m. The governing equation for the simulation is determined to be Height = 10t - 5t^2. The speaker is unsure of how to simulate the height of the ball, but suggests using the equation dh/dt = 10 - 5t. They also mention a Simulink tutorial file for simulating a bouncing ball that could be helpful.
nightingale

Homework Statement

Upthrow simulation Conditions: initial velocity v=10m/s, initial height h=0m when t=0. Gravity acceleration g=10m/s2 .

Using Simulink to simulate the variation of height with time when t≥0.

Homework Equations

I figured that the governing equation should be:
Height = initial velocity (u) * time + 1/2 * acceleration * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Height = initial velocity (u) * time + 1/2 * acceleration * t^2
Height = 10 t * 1/2 * -10 * t^2
Height = 10 t - 5 t^2

I don't have a clue on how to simulate the height of the ball since it is a second order differentiation. Since the height varies with time, then isn't it dh/dt?

So, is it:

dh/dt = 10 - 5t ?

(I pulled the t out, and made it into differentiation)

Now again, I have been taught simulink by my lecturer for a mere one hour, and I honestly am clueless on how to simulate that (if the governing equation is right).

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the Simulink tutorial files, there is one called Simulation of a Bouncing Ball. All the proper blocks are in place--you just have to change your initial conditions to match your problem.

1. What is Matlab Simulink?

Matlab Simulink is a software tool used for simulation and model-based design of dynamic systems. It allows you to create models of systems and simulate their behavior using various mathematical operations and algorithms.

2. How can I simulate the height of a ball thrown upward using Matlab Simulink?

To simulate the height of a ball thrown upward, you can use the "Projectile" block from the Simulink library. This block uses the equations of motion to calculate the position and velocity of the ball over time. You can also add other blocks such as a "Scope" block to visualize the results.

3. What are the necessary inputs for simulating the height of a ball thrown upward in Matlab Simulink?

The necessary inputs for simulating the height of a ball thrown upward are the initial position, initial velocity, and acceleration due to gravity. These inputs can be specified in the "Projectile" block or as a constant value using the "Constant" block.

4. Can I change the parameters of the simulation in real-time using Matlab Simulink?

Yes, you can change the parameters of the simulation in real-time using the "Simulation Parameters" block. This block allows you to specify the start and stop time, time step, and other simulation settings. You can also use the "From Workspace" block to import data from external sources during the simulation.

5. How accurate is the simulation of a ball thrown upward in Matlab Simulink?

The accuracy of the simulation depends on the complexity of the model and the accuracy of the input parameters. However, Matlab Simulink uses advanced mathematical algorithms and numerical methods to ensure high accuracy in simulations. You can also adjust the simulation settings and time step to improve the accuracy of the results.