Linear Equation System Solution and Matrix Multiplication in MATLAB

• Thread starter A.J.710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a system of linear equations symbolically using MATLAB. The equations are 3x + 4y + 5z = 2, 2x - 3y + 7z = -1, and x - 6y + z = 3. The conversation also mentions checking the answer using matrix multiplication and provides a resource for understanding the steps for solving the equations in MATLAB.
A.J.710

Homework Statement

Solve (symbolically) the system of linear equations

3x + 4y + 5z = 2
2x - 3y + 7z = -1
x - 6y + z = 3

Check your answer using matrix multiplication.[/B]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This assignment was given with about 20 different basic MATLAB questions and this is really the only one that I cannot get. I really don't even know where to start. I tried the online help copy and pasting different types of functions such as linsolve and solve Y but I just cannot get it to work. I also need help multiplying in matrix form. Can anyone please explain to me how to go about this. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this will help. It describes the steps needed to let MATLAB solve it.

http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~math20f/Fall/Lab2/Lab2.shtml

Got it. Thanks

1. What is the purpose of using MATLAB to solve equations?

MATLAB is a programming language and numerical computing environment that is widely used by scientists and engineers to analyze and solve complex mathematical problems. It provides a user-friendly interface and powerful tools for solving equations, making it an essential tool for many scientific research projects.

2. How do I input the equation 3x + 4y + 5z = 2 into MATLAB?

To input an equation into MATLAB, you can use the symbolic math toolbox, which allows you to create symbolic variables and perform mathematical operations on them. In this case, you would first create the variables x, y, and z, and then use the "syms" function to define them as symbolic variables. Next, you can use the "solve" function to solve the equation and obtain the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the equation.

3. Can MATLAB solve equations with multiple variables?

Yes, MATLAB can solve equations with multiple variables. The "solve" function can handle systems of equations with any number of variables, as long as there are as many equations as there are variables.

4. How does MATLAB solve equations?

MATLAB uses numerical methods to solve equations. It first converts the equation into a system of linear equations, and then uses techniques such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, or iterative methods to find the solution. The method used depends on the characteristics of the equation and the variables involved.

5. Can I use MATLAB to solve equations with complex numbers?

Yes, MATLAB can handle complex numbers and solve equations with complex solutions. The "solve" function can find both real and complex solutions to an equation, and the "complex" function can convert real numbers to complex numbers and vice versa.