Solving Transformation Matrix and Basis Problem

In summary: You should be inverting the matrix representing the new basis, not the original basis. So your formula would be F' = B^(-1)AB, where B is the matrix with the basis vectors as columns and A is the original transformation matrix.
Gramsci
I'm having some trouble understanding basis and how they relate to transformation matrices.

Homework Statement

Let e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4 be a basis in a four dimensional vector space V. Suppose that the linear transformation F on V has the matrix representation:
[1 0 2 1;-1 2 1 3;1 2 5 5;2 -2 1 -2] (Matlab-notation).
Find F:s matrix representation in the basis f_1= e_1-2e_2+e_4 , f_2=3e_2-e_3-e_4, f_3=e_3+e_4, f_4=2e_4.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of using B^(-1)AB (B is the basis A the transformation matrix), but I can't invert our basis here. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The e's represent the usual euclidian base e1 = (1,0,0,0), e2=(0,1,0,0) etc...

Gramsci said:
I'm having some trouble understanding basis and how they relate to transformation matrices.

Homework Statement

Let e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4 be a basis in a four dimensional vector space V. Suppose that the linear transformation F on V has the matrix representation:
[1 0 2 1;-1 2 1 3;1 2 5 5;2 -2 1 -2] (Matlab-notation).
Find F:s matrix representation in the basis f_1= e_1-2e_2+e_4 , f_2=3e_2-e_3-e_4, f_3=e_3+e_4, f_4=2e_4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of using B^(-1)AB (B is the basis A the transformation matrix), but I can't invert our basis here. What should I do?
That's what you want to do, but I think you're trying to invert the wrong matrix.

1. What is a transformation matrix and basis problem?

A transformation matrix and basis problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a set of vectors that can be used to transform one coordinate system into another. It involves finding a transformation matrix that can be used to map points from one basis to another.

2. Why is solving transformation matrix and basis problem important in science?

Solving transformation matrix and basis problem is important in science because it allows us to transform data from one coordinate system to another, which is useful in many applications such as image processing, data analysis, and computer graphics. It also helps in simplifying complex calculations and making them more efficient.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a transformation matrix and basis problem?

The first step is to identify the initial and final coordinate systems and their corresponding basis vectors. Then, we need to find the transformation matrix by solving a system of equations using the basis vectors. Next, we apply this transformation matrix to the data points in the initial coordinate system to obtain the transformed points in the final coordinate system.

4. What are some common applications of solving transformation matrix and basis problem?

Solving transformation matrix and basis problem has various applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to transform vectors and tensors from one coordinate system to another. In computer science, it is used in computer graphics, robotics, and machine learning. In engineering, it is used in designing and analyzing structures and systems.

5. Is there any software or programming language that can be used to solve transformation matrix and basis problem?

Yes, there are many software and programming languages that can be used to solve transformation matrix and basis problem, such as MATLAB, Python, and Mathematica. These tools have built-in functions and libraries that make it easier to perform the necessary calculations and transformations.