Matrices in the Gummi editor?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, to write matrices in the Gummi latex editor, you can use the extension from amslatex called "pmatrix". However, if the syntax used in the forum does not work when used in Gummi, you can add \usepackage{amsmath} in the preamble of your tex file to make it work. This package also has many other useful extensions and is recommended for use in most documents. You can refer to the ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/amsldoc.pdf for more information.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What are some examples of writing matrices in the Gummi latex editor? Something about the syntax used on the forum doesn't work for me when used in Gummi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you tried that doesn't work?

This example doesn't work when the underlying LaTex is pasted into the Gummi editor:
\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

pmatrix is an extension from amslatex. In the preamble of your tex file, add

\usepackage{amsmath}

and it will work. There are many useful extensions in amsmath and I use it in almost all my documents. See the ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/amsldoc.pdf.

Likes Stephen Tashi
Thank you DrClaude.
\usepackage{amsmath} in the preamble makes things behave as expected.

1. What is a matrix in the Gummi editor?

A matrix in the Gummi editor is a grid of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is used to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on multiple values at once.

2. How do I create a matrix in the Gummi editor?

To create a matrix in the Gummi editor, you can use the "Matrix" tool located in the toolbar. Simply click on the tool and then click and drag your cursor on the canvas to create the desired size of the matrix. You can also manually enter values into the matrix by double-clicking on each cell.

3. Can I perform operations on matrices in the Gummi editor?

Yes, you can perform various mathematical operations on matrices in the Gummi editor. You can use the "Operations" tool to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on two or more matrices. The result will be displayed in a new matrix on the canvas.

4. How do I edit a matrix in the Gummi editor?

To edit a matrix in the Gummi editor, you can double-click on any cell to change its value. You can also use the "Matrix" tool to resize the matrix or the "Operations" tool to perform operations on the matrix.

5. Can I save and export matrices in the Gummi editor?

Yes, you can save and export matrices in the Gummi editor. To save your work, click on "File" in the menu bar and select "Save" or "Save As." To export the matrix as an image, click on "File" and select "Export to Image." You can also copy and paste the matrix into other applications.