Solve Quickly: -1 1 1 1 1 Matrix Problem

• Thread starter Derill03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix that is quickly solvable and has a specific pattern of 1's and -1's. The individual is unsure whether to use row reduction or a simple trick to solve it. A suggestion is made to use the Sherman-Morrison formula to invert the matrix.
Derill03
This matrix is said to be quickly solvable but I am not sure of the trick:

-1 1 1 1 1
1 -1 1 1 1
1 1 -1 1 1
1 1 1 -1 1
1 1 1 1 -1

the matrix is all 1's with -1's on the main diagonal, I am not sure if i should row reduce until i have an upper triangular matrix and use product of diagonal entries or if there is a simple trick I am missing

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to realize that it is a rank-1 update of a matrix you know how to invert
[tex]\left(\begin{matrix}-1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & -1\end{matrix}\right) = \left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{matrix}\right)\left(\begin{matrix}1 & 1 & 1\end{matrix}\right) - 2 \left(\begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Apply the Sherman-Morrison formula:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman–Morrison_formula

There may be other ways.

What is the "Solve Quickly: -1 1 1 1 1 Matrix Problem"?

The "Solve Quickly: -1 1 1 1 1 Matrix Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves arranging numbers in a specific grid format and finding a solution that satisfies certain conditions.

What are the conditions that need to be satisfied in this problem?

In this problem, the sum of each row, column, and diagonal must equal -1.

How do I approach solving this problem?

One approach to solving this problem is to start with a guess and then use trial and error to rearrange the numbers until the conditions are satisfied.

What is the difficulty level of this problem?

The difficulty level of this problem can vary depending on your mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities. Some may find it easy, while others may find it challenging.

Are there any strategies or tips for solving this problem more efficiently?

One strategy for solving this problem more efficiently is to use the properties of numbers to deduce patterns and make educated guesses. Another tip is to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve them individually before combining them to find the final solution.