Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrix Algebra Inverse Matrix Question

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If A is an nxn matrix such that A^3 = 0 (the zero matrix) then (I-A)^-1 = ...?

A. not invertible
    B. I+A^2
    C. I-A
    D. I+A
    E. I+A+A^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't know how to work out what the inverse of (I-A) is if I know A^3... how is this even helpful?? It's a multichoice question and apparently the answer is 'E'

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need to work it out; you just need to check each one!

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    If I do that, I get to option C That is (I-A)(I-A)^-1=(I-A)/(I-A)=I which seems correct, but the answer is apparently E. I+A+A^2

*EDIT: Meant I+A+A^2

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    By definition (I – A) (I – A)^-1 = I, so let C = (I – A)^-1

So C(I – A) = I thus C – CA = I so (C – CA)A^2 = A^2 thus CA^2 – CA^3 = A^2 and since we are given A^3 = 0, we get CA^2 = A^2 and since identity is unique for matrixes, C = I. so C = (I – A)^-1 = I. So (I – A)I = I. So I – A = I. So A = 0.

I could be off on this somewhere, but I’m pretty sure A=0 and your inverse is equal to I. So if this is true B, C,D and E should be solutions. Whereas E is trivial by plugging it in.

6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    Never mind! Click! Just figured out I should have been going (I-A)(I-A)=...

Thanks for the help

7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    Here you seem to imply that (I-A)^-1 = 1/(I-A). What exactly does it mean to divide the number 1 by the difference of the identity matrix and matrix A? Can you divide a number by a matrix?

This illustrates how important it is to live by your definitions in math. How was A^-1 defined in your class, where A is a matrix? I bet the concept of division was never used.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook