1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Algebra Inverse Matrix Question

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If A is an nxn matrix such that A^3 = 0 (the zero matrix) then (I-A)^-1 = ...?

A. not invertible
    B. I+A^2
    C. I-A
    D. I+A
    E. I+A+A^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just don't know how to work out what the inverse of (I-A) is if I know A^3... how is this even helpful?? It's a multichoice question and apparently the answer is 'E'
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need to work it out; you just need to check each one!
  4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    If I do that, I get to option C That is (I-A)(I-A)^-1=(I-A)/(I-A)=I which seems correct, but the answer is apparently E. I+A+A^2

*EDIT: Meant I+A+A^2
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. Sep 8, 2010 #4
    By definition (I – A) (I – A)^-1 = I, so let C = (I – A)^-1

So C(I – A) = I thus C – CA = I so (C – CA)A^2 = A^2 thus CA^2 – CA^3 = A^2 and since we are given A^3 = 0, we get CA^2 = A^2 and since identity is unique for matrixes, C = I. so C = (I – A)^-1 = I. So (I – A)I = I. So I – A = I. So A = 0.

I could be off on this somewhere, but I’m pretty sure A=0 and your inverse is equal to I. So if this is true B, C,D and E should be solutions. Whereas E is trivial by plugging it in.
  6. Sep 8, 2010 #5
    Never mind! Click! Just figured out I should have been going (I-A)(I-A)=...

Thanks for the help
  7. Sep 8, 2010 #6
    Here you seem to imply that (I-A)^-1 = 1/(I-A). What exactly does it mean to divide the number 1 by the difference of the identity matrix and matrix A? Can you divide a number by a matrix?

This illustrates how important it is to live by your definitions in math. How was A^-1 defined in your class, where A is a matrix? I bet the concept of division was never used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook