1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix manipulation (inverse, lin. alg.)

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A[itex]\in[/itex]M[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\Re[/itex]) a matrix verifying

A[itex]^{3}[/itex]-A[itex]^{2}[/itex]-I[itex]_{n}[/itex]=0

a) Show that A is inversible and calculate it
    b) Show that the solution X[itex]\subset[/itex]M[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\Re[/itex]) of the equation

A[itex]^{k}[/itex](A-I[itex]_{n}[/itex])X=I[itex]_{n}[/itex]

has a unique solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble with starting this one. I'm quite rubbish with these matrices in linear algebra, but I have exams in a few days and this question was on it, so i need help!

I know the criteria for matrix inverse (AB=BA=I). However there's too much going on... help me dissect it? thanks a lot to anyone for any help, much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is kind of trivial! [itex]A^3- A^2= A(A^2- A)= (A^2- A)A= I[/itex].

Again, from [itex]A^3- A^2- I= 0[/itex], we have [itex]A^2(A- I)= I[/itex] so for any [itex]k\ge 2[/itex], [itex]A^k(I- I)X= A^{k-2}(A^2(A- I)X= A^{k- 2}X= I[/itex]. And since A has an inverse, you just multiply both sides by [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] k- 2 times. The cases where k= 0 or k= 1 are simple.

There was really no "matrix" algebra involved here, just the definitions and basic algebraic manipulation.

4. Jan 4, 2013 #3
    Oh I see, that was easier than I thought. I always get tripped up when they mention matrices and think that I have to tread very cautiously.

thank you

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4
    Actually, can you help me out with the last steps for solving? I'm still a bit caught up. I attached my attempt where you left off.

thanks

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook