Matrix Model for Membranes and D-brane Dynamics

In summary, the paper discusses the dynamics of a membrane and its matrix regularisation. It presents the matrix regularisation for a membrane propagating in a curved space-time geometry in the presence of an arbitrary 3-form field. In the matrix regularisation, it then studies the dynamics of D-particles. It shows how the Riemann curvature of the target space-time geometry, or any other form fields can polarise the D-Particles, cause entanglement among them and create fuzzy solutions. It reviews the fuzzy sphere and it presents fuzzy hyperbolic and ellipsoid solutions.
Kevin_Axion
I was looking through the HEP-th section of arXiv and I noticed this interesting paper, unfortunately the majority of the paper is in Persian.
Subjects: High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th): http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.2135
Matrix Model for membrane and dynamics of D-Particles in a curved space-time geometry and presence of form fields
Author: Qasem Exirifard
Abstract: We study dynamics of a membrane and its matrix regularisation. We present the matrix regularisation for a membrane propagating in a curved space-time geometry in the presence of an arbitrary 3-form field. In the matrix regularisation, we then study the dynamics of D-particles. We show how the Riemann curvature of the target space-time geometry, or any other form fields can polarise the D-Particles, cause entanglement among them and create fuzzy solutions. We review the fuzzy sphere and we present fuzzy hyperbolic and ellipsoid solutions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's apparently a master's thesis that was submitted in 2002. I'm sure most of the topics are already covered in Wati Taylor's lectures: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0002016

Yea, I realized that right after I posted it, thanks though.

fzero said:
That's apparently a master's thesis that was submitted in 2002. I'm sure most of the topics are already covered in Wati Taylor's lectures: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0002016

This is almost right, but not completely.Only some parts are covered in the Taylor's lecture. It cites this ref. whenever it uses it. The parts that are not covered include:

1- How Quantum Mechanics removes the spike instability due to uncertainty principle. Though this is simple, it sounds nice ( this is at the end of the first chapter.)

2- In the second chapter it demonstrates matrix regularisation in the presence of an arbitrary form field, and curved space-time geometry. In so doing it gives an insight why it is better to use the symmetric prescription. (Only within the symmetric prescription, within finite $N$ approximation, there exists no \frac{1}{N} correction in the matrix regularisation to membrane dynamics.)

3- In the last chapter, it shows how each field can entangle D-particles. It presents an ellipsoid solution when the curvature of the space-time is turned on. It also presents a family of the static excitations (with positive energy) of D-particles in curved space-time geometry, a non-compact solution which reads
[x,y]=i\theta
[z,y]=i \sqrt{2M} x
[z,x]= i \sqrt{2M} y
wherein $\theta$ is a free parameter labelling the excitation, and $M$ receives contribution from the Riemann curvature and one-form potential. The Casimir invariant of this algebra reads
J=z - \frac{2 M}{2\theta}(y^2-x^2)
Since the Casimir operator defines the `shape' of fuzzy solutions, the above algebra is called the `hyperbolic fuzzy solutions`.

btw, this has been my MS thesis in 2002.

Last edited:

1. What is the Matrix Model for Membranes and D-brane Dynamics?

The Matrix Model for Membranes and D-brane Dynamics is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of membranes and D-branes in string theory. It is based on the idea that these objects can be represented by matrices, and their interactions can be described by the dynamics of these matrices.

2. How does the Matrix Model explain the behavior of membranes and D-branes?

The Matrix Model explains the behavior of membranes and D-branes by representing them as matrices and describing their interactions through the dynamics of these matrices. This approach allows for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of these objects in string theory.

3. What are the applications of the Matrix Model in physics?

The Matrix Model has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of string theory and its implications for quantum gravity. It has also been used to study black holes and the holographic principle, as well as to understand the dynamics of branes in various dimensions.

4. How does the Matrix Model relate to other theories in physics?

The Matrix Model is closely related to other theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and string theory. It provides a way to understand the behavior of objects in string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. What are the current developments and challenges in the Matrix Model for Membranes and D-brane Dynamics?

There are ongoing developments and challenges in the Matrix Model for Membranes and D-brane Dynamics, including efforts to extend the model to include higher dimensions and to better understand the role of quantum effects. There is also ongoing research to investigate the implications of this model for other areas of physics, such as cosmology and particle physics.