Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix rank

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    How can you prove that matrix X with rank n can be written as the sum of matrices Y and Z where Y has rank n-1 and Z has rank of 1. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    It may be helpful to think of matrix products as sums of rank-1 matrices. For example, consider matrices A and B and their product AB. If the columns of A are a1, a2, ..., and the rows of B are b1*, b2*, ..., then the product is

[tex]AB = \left[\begin{array} & a_1 \vline a_2 \vline ... \vline a_n\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array} & b_1^* & \hline & b_2^* & \hline & \vdots & \hline & b_n^*\end{array}\right] = \sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i^*[/tex]

Where [itex]a_i b_i^*[/itex] are all rank-1 matrices.

Now if you have a matrix M, all you have to do is find any decomposition of it (M = AB), and you can write it as the sum of rank-1 matrices. M = MI works just fine (can you see what this is this in summation form?), or you could use any other factorization you like. The SVD is particularly enlightening in this regard.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?