1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max and Min of function via Lagrange multipliers

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If n is a fixed positive integer, compute the max and min values of the function [tex] (x-y)^n = f(x,y), [/tex] under the constraint [itex] x^2 + 3y^2 = 1 [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the 4 critical points [itex] (±\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}, ±\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}})\,\,\text{and}\,\, (±\frac{1}{2},±\frac{1}{2}) [/itex]
    Correct? My question is : to find the max and min of this function under this constraint, I split n into even and odd cases and found the values from there. Is that the right way to go about the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Can anyone offer any advice?
    I alo noted that I got 4 values of x but I only had 3 equations. Does this make sense?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think you would get more feedback if you actually show your calculations instead of just your answer.

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure: you can get more than one value from a single equation. For example, the single equation x^2 = 4 has two roots: x = 2 and x = -2.

RGV

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

I computed [itex] f_{x}, f_{y}, g_{x}, g_{y} [/itex] and solved the system of equations: [tex] n(x-y)^{n-1} = 2\lambda x, -n(x-y)^{n-1} = 6\lambda y\,\,\text{and}\,\, x^2 + 3y^2 =1 [/tex] Adding the first of these equations gives λ=0 or x=-3y. Sub x=-3y into the constraint to give y= ±1/sqrt(12) which implies x= ±(sqrt(3))/2. Now using λ=0 gives x=y , which again by the constraint gives x=±1/2 and y=±1/2. Correct?

To find the max and min I split n into even and odd. I am pretty confident this is correct because I have suitable answers, but I was wondering if the question wanted me to do something else(purely because I had to prove the cases for any n=2k, n= 2k+1, etc.. which that sort of style of working I had not done before in calculus)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook