Max and min tangent and triangle

In summary, the tangent to the circle at point (x_0,y_0) is y=x Use the fact the tangent to the circle $x^2+y^2=1$ at point $(x_0,y_0)$ has equation $xx_0+yy_0=1$. Use the fact the tangent to the circle $x^2+y^2=1$ at point $(x_0,y_0)$ has equation $xx_0+yy_0=1$.
leprofece
in what point of the circumference: x2 + y2 = 1 the tangent to this, (to yhe circunference) form with the coordinate axes the triangle of smaller area?.

answer ( +/-(sqrt2/2), +/-(sqrt2/2) )

Ok y2= 1-x2

Now I don't know in what point must i get the tangent?? I don't think it is in 0,0
I would get y = x

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact the the tangent to the circle $x^2+y^2=1$ at point $(x_0,y_0)$ has equation $xx_0+yy_0=1$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Use the fact the the tangent to the circle $x^2+y^2=1$ at point $(x_0,y_0)$ has equation $xx_0+yy_0=1$.

ok I thought that but what is x0 and y0?

$(x_0,y_0)$ is any point on the circle through which (point) the tangent is drawn.

xx0+yy0=1.
So I must solve for y to introcuced in the another?
y = 1-xx0/y0?

Sorry but that way is very dificult to me

leprofece said:
y = 1-xx0/y0?
Yes, this is the equation of a tangent, but don't forget what you need to solve. You are interested in the area of the triangle formed by the x- and y-axes and the tangent. The triangle is right-angled, so to find the area, you need to know the sides adjacent to the right angle (also called legs, or catheti). To find the sides, we find the intercept of the tangent, i.e., where the tangent crosses the axes. Let's call the point of tangency $(a,b)$ instead of $(x_0,y_0)$. Substituting $x=0$ into the equation of the tangent
\[
ax+by=1
\]
gives $y=1/b$; similarly, substituting $y=0$ gives $x=1/a$. Thus, twice the area of the triangle is $1/(ab)$. This is the expression we need to minimize subject to the restriction that the point of tangency lies on the circle, i.e., $a^2+b^2=1$. Minimizing $1/(ab)$ is equivalent to maximizing $ab$ or $a^2b^2$ if $a>0$ and $b>0$. Thus, we need to maximize $a^2(1-a^2)$. Denoting $a^2=t$ (note that $a^2$ varies between 0 and 1), we need to maximize $t(1-t)$ on $[0,1]$. The point of maximum is $t=1/2$, from where $a=\sqrt{1/2}$ and $b=\sqrt{1/2}$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, this is the equation of a tangent, but don't forget what you need to solve. You are interested in the area of the triangle formed by the x- and y-axes and the tangent. The triangle is right-angled, so to find the area, you need to know the sides adjacent to the right angle (also called legs, or catheti). To find the sides, we find the intercept of the tangent, i.e., where the tangent crosses the axes. Let's call the point of tangency $(a,b)$ instead of $(x_0,y_0)$. Substituting $x=0$ into the equation of the tangent
\[
ax+by=1
\]
gives $y=1/b$; similarly, substituting $y=0$ gives $x=1/a$. Thus, twice the area of the triangle is $1/(ab)$. This is the expression we need to minimize subject to the restriction that the point of tangency lies on the circle, i.e., $a^2+b^2=1$. Minimizing $1/(ab)$ is equivalent to maximizing $ab$ or $a^2b^2$ if $a>0$ and $b>0$. Thus, we need to maximize $a^2(1-a^2)$. Denoting $a^2=t$ (note that $a^2$ varies between 0 and 1), we need to maximize $t(1-t)$ on $[0,1]$. The point of maximum is $t=1/2$, from where $a=\sqrt{1/2}$ and $b=\sqrt{1/2}$.

I would really appreciatte it

leprofece said:
I would really appreciatte it
But you don't. ;) "Would" is an indicator of a conditional sentence: e.g., "I would go to the cinema if it were not raining". Just kidding. (Smile)

Related to Max and min tangent and triangle

1. What is the definition of a maximum tangent?

A maximum tangent is the line that touches a curve or function at only one point and is parallel to the curve's slope at that point.

2. How is a minimum tangent different from a maximum tangent?

A minimum tangent is the line that touches a curve or function at only one point and is perpendicular to the curve's slope at that point. It is the opposite of a maximum tangent.

3. What is the relationship between a tangent and a triangle?

A tangent is a line that touches a curve at only one point, while a triangle is a three-sided polygon. In geometry, a tangent line can be used to form a right angle with a radius of a circle, creating a triangle.

4. How are maximum and minimum tangents used in real-life applications?

In real-life applications, maximum and minimum tangents are used in optimizing and minimizing processes. For example, in manufacturing, they can be used to determine the optimal angle for a cutting tool to minimize waste and maximize efficiency.

5. What is the formula for finding the maximum or minimum tangent?

The formula for finding the maximum or minimum tangent depends on the specific curve or function. Generally, it involves taking the derivative of the curve or function and setting it equal to zero to find the critical points, which represent the maximum or minimum tangents. From there, the tangent line can be calculated using the point-slope formula.