Max Deflection Hand Calculations: Find 1.734in Plate Bending

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the maximum deflection of a thin plate using FEA in NX NASTRAN 11. The max deflection is found to be 1.734 in. The individual is seeking guidance on how to perform hand calculations to verify the FEA results. Given values and attached files are provided, and it is suggested to refer to a specific book for formulas for small deflections of rectangular flat plates. It is also mentioned that in the case of large deflection or yielding, an experiment may be needed to verify the FEA analysis.
Stephen Miller
TL;DR Summary
Max Deflection Hand Calculations
Summary: Max Deflection Hand Calculations

I have to do a project that involves FEA on a thin plate in NX NASTRAN 11, finding the max deflection, and then proving that answer with hand calculations. The max deflection is 1.734 in. I have absolutely no idea how to do the hand calculations. Everything that I've seen is very cryptic or includes infinite series. I just need to be guided in the right direction.

Given values:
thickness = t = 0.125 in
Young's Modulus = E = 10E6 psi
Mass Density ρ = 0.101 lb * m/in^3
Rectangular Plate with dimensions 12 x 8 in
Poisson's Ratio = v = 0.33
And there's a applied pressure of 100 psi.

Attached files are the results from using the FEA, and the tutorial that was provided in case I missed some information.

Attachments

• Project tutorial _ final.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 283
  • 4f1610f3315b495f86973a9b6388285d.png
    4f1610f3315b495f86973a9b6388285d.png
    36 KB · Views: 217
Engineering news on Phys.org
Get a copy of Formulas for Stress and Strain, by Roark. You don't need the latest edition, my 5th Edition has almost 20 pages of formulas for small deflections of rectangular flat plates.

Your case is one of large deflection, where those formulas do not apply. There is also a discussion, with some formulas, in Roark of large deflections.

If the plate yields, none of the above formulas apply. In that case, verifying the FEA analysis requires an experiment.

Likes Stephen Miller

1. What is the purpose of Max Deflection Hand Calculations?

The purpose of Max Deflection Hand Calculations is to determine the maximum deflection, or bending, of a plate under a given load. This information is important for structural engineers and designers to ensure the safety and stability of a structure.

2. How is the deflection of a plate calculated by hand?

The deflection of a plate can be calculated by hand using the plate bending equation, which takes into account the material properties of the plate, the applied load, and the dimensions of the plate. This calculation involves solving for the maximum deflection at the center of the plate.

3. What does a deflection of 1.734in for a plate mean?

A deflection of 1.734in for a plate means that the center of the plate will bend or deform by 1.734 inches under the given load. This value is important for determining the overall structural integrity and stability of the plate.

4. What factors can affect the deflection of a plate?

The deflection of a plate can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the plate, the applied load, the dimensions of the plate, and the boundary conditions. Other factors such as temperature, moisture, and external forces can also impact the deflection of a plate.

5. How accurate are hand calculations for plate deflection?

The accuracy of hand calculations for plate deflection depends on the skill and experience of the person performing the calculations. In most cases, hand calculations may provide a close estimate of the actual deflection, but for more complex structures, computer-aided analysis may be necessary for more accurate results.