1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max distance Between storm water inlets

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    A suburban street receives storm water runoff at rate of 2.0 L/m-s (on each side). The street has a slope of .8 percent and a cross slope of 2 percent; n = .013. If the street is 10 m wide and can be totally covered by water (depth = 0 at the midpoint), what is the max distance between inlets?

Thinking to use modified Manning's equation for triangular gutter cross section

Q = K(z/n)(s^.5)[y^(8/3)]

Q = gutter flow
    z = reciprocal of the cross slope of the gutter
    n = roughness coefficient
    s= gutter slope
    y = water depth at the curb
    K = constant = .38 for metric

first I found the Q for the gutter flow
    Q=?
    z= 1/.02=50
    n = .013
    s= .008
    y= 5m(.02)=.1m
    K= .38

so Q = .38(50/.013)(.008^.5)[.1^(8/3)] = .28 m^3/s

at this point I am not sure how to use the runoff of 2 L/m-s and the Q = .28 m^3/s to get a max distance between inlets?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2
    may have figured this out. if I convert the L in 2 L/m-s to m^3 I get .002 m^2/s. then if I take (.28 m^3/s)/(.002m^2/s) = 140m. so basically this is a right triangle with a hypotenuse of 2L/m-s and leg1 = .28m^3/s and leg2 = length. Any thoughts or further info is welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook