Flow rate in unconfined aquifier?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a well is drilled into an unconfined aquifer at a depth of 90m and other wells are drilled at distances of 20m and 100m. The water level in these wells decreases by 12m and 8m respectively. Given a permeability value of 200m/day, the question asks for the pumping rate of the well. Through calculations, the answer is found to be 2.89m^3/s, but the given answer is 1.06m^3/s. Further discussion reveals that the actual answer is 3.61m^3/s, with a possible error in the working involving the use of ln(100/200) instead
tzx9633

Homework Statement

A 40cm well was drilled penetrating straight into unconfined aquifier at depth of 90m . The other wells were drilled at a distance of 20m and 100m from initial well have decrease in water level of 12m and 8m from groundwater level . If the aquifier has a permeability value of 200m / day , what’s the pumping rate of well ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Permeability in m^3 / s = 200/24/3600
H = 90 – 8 = 82
H = 90- 12 = 78

My working is Q = πk( H^2 -h^2) / ln (R /r)= π( (200/24/3600)x (82^2 - 78^2)) / ln(100/200 = 2.89m^3 / s , But the ans provided is 1.06m^3 / s , what's wrong with my answer ? The ans provided is in m^3 /s

Attachments

• 782.PNG
    782.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
tzx9633 said:
H = 90 – 8 = 82
H = 90- 12 = 78
tzx9633 said:
depth of 90m ... decrease in water level

Likes tzx9633
what do you mean ? Can you explain further ?

tzx9633 said:
what do you mean ? Can you explain further ?
If the water level of an aquifer decreases, is it shallower or deeper?

Likes tzx9633
haruspex said:
If the water level of an aquifer decreases, is it shallower or deeper?
Shallower , am i right ?

tzx9633 said:
Shallower , am i right ?
Just realized my question was ambiguous.
I meant shallower in the sense of nearer the ground surface. If the water level falls it will be further from the ground surface, right?

Likes tzx9633
haruspex said:
Just realized my question was ambiguous.
I meant shallower in the sense of nearer the ground surface. If the water level falls it will be further from the ground surface, right?
yes , any part of my working is wrong ? I couldn't get the ans ...

tzx9633 said:
yes , any part of my working is wrong ? I couldn't get the ans ...
You are not getting my hints.
The first well is at a depth of 90m, i.e. its water's surface is at 90m below ground level.
The next well has a water surface 12m lower, so how far below ground level is that?

Likes tzx9633
haruspex said:
The first well is at a depth of 90m, i.e. its water's surface is at 90m below ground level.
The next well has a water surface 12m lower, so how far below ground level is that?
102 m ...

haruspex said:
H = 90+ 8 = 98
H = 90 + 12 = 102

My working is Q = πk( H^2 -h^2) / ln (R /r)= π( (200/24/3600)x (102^2 - 98^2)) / ln(100/200 = 3.61m^3 / s , but the ans provided is 1.06m^3 / s , what's wrong with my answer ? Which is still wrong

Sorry, I should have looked at the diagram sooner. I now see that the wording is misleading. Your original calculation of 82m and 78m was correct. The only error I see in your working is that you have ln(100/200) instead of ln(200/100), but that would have simply flipped the sign.
That said, if I put your numbers through my calculator I get 6.71m3/s.
The equation puzzles me. I do not understand where that π comes from, since it is not getting multiplied by a radius anywhere. The given 40cm does not seem to feature in the equation (is that radius or diameter?), but I can see why it might be irrelevant.

Edit, just noticed you had 200 instead of 20.., just a typo I guess. Now I get your 2.89.

Edit 2: I tried dividing 2.89 by 1.06. It gives a number very close to e. Perhaps a result of fat-fingering a calculator?

Last edited:

1. What is flow rate in an unconfined aquifer?

The flow rate in an unconfined aquifer refers to the volume of water that moves through the aquifer per unit of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per time, such as cubic feet per day or gallons per minute.

2. How is flow rate in an unconfined aquifer calculated?

The flow rate in an unconfined aquifer is calculated using Darcy's Law, which takes into account the hydraulic conductivity, aquifer thickness, and hydraulic gradient of the aquifer. This calculation can also be affected by factors such as aquifer heterogeneity and recharge rates.

3. What factors affect the flow rate in an unconfined aquifer?

The flow rate in an unconfined aquifer can be affected by several factors, including the hydraulic conductivity of the aquifer materials, the thickness of the aquifer, the hydraulic gradient, and the degree of aquifer heterogeneity. Other factors such as recharge rates and the presence of wells or other pumping activities can also impact flow rate.

4. How does flow rate in an unconfined aquifer impact groundwater availability?

The flow rate in an unconfined aquifer is a key factor in determining the availability of groundwater. If the flow rate is high, it indicates that the aquifer is able to replenish itself quickly, making more water available for extraction. However, a low flow rate may indicate that the aquifer is being depleted faster than it can recharge, which can lead to water scarcity and affect groundwater availability.

5. How does human activity impact flow rate in an unconfined aquifer?

Human activities such as pumping water from wells, land use changes, and pollution can all impact the flow rate in an unconfined aquifer. For example, excessive pumping can lower the water table and decrease the flow rate, while land use changes such as urbanization can increase the amount of impermeable surfaces and reduce groundwater recharge. Pollution can also affect the hydraulic conductivity of the aquifer materials, altering the flow rate.