Calculating Best Hydraulic Section for Composite Channel - Flow Rate 6.5(m^3/s)

In summary, the task is to determine the depth of flow for a composite channel in order to convey a flow rate of 6.5(m^3/s) with Manning coefficients of 0.015 and 0.0015 for bed slopes. The attempt at a solution involves using the table to calculate values for z, A, and P, and then using the Manning equation to find the value for y. The final answer is y = 2.4.
fonseh

Homework Statement

Determine the depth of the flow of channel if the best hydraulic channel is needd for composite channel in figure to convey flow rate of 6.5(m^3/s) , Manning coefficient n on bed slope are 0.015 and 0.0015 respectively .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the total flow rate of composite channel is 6.5(m^3/s) .. so From the table , i gt z = 1 / sqrt(3) , A = (sqrt(3) + 2 ) (y^2) = 3.73(y^2)
P = 4y +2sqrt(2) = 6.83 y
So , From manning equation , Q = (1/n)(A)(R^(2/3))(sqrt bed slope) ,

so , n = 0.015 , bed slope = 0.0015 , i found that y = 2.4 , is my ans and concept correct ?

Attachments

• 592.PNG
    592.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,954
  • 591.PNG
    591.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 924
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone can try to help ?

Related to Calculating Best Hydraulic Section for Composite Channel - Flow Rate 6.5(m^3/s)

What is the best hydraulic section for my project?

The best hydraulic section for a project depends on various factors such as flow rate, pressure, and efficiency. It is important to consider the specific needs of your project and consult with a hydraulic expert to determine the most suitable section.

What are the key features to look for in a hydraulic section?

Some key features to look for in a hydraulic section include high flow capacity, low pressure drop, and good efficiency. It is also important to consider the material, size, and design of the section for compatibility with your system.

What is the difference between a fixed and variable hydraulic section?

A fixed hydraulic section has a constant flow rate and pressure, while a variable hydraulic section allows for changes in flow rate and pressure. Variable sections are typically more versatile and can be adjusted to meet changing hydraulic system demands.

How can I ensure the longevity of my hydraulic section?

To ensure the longevity of a hydraulic section, it is important to properly maintain and service it regularly. This includes monitoring fluid levels and replacing any worn or damaged components. It is also important to use the section within its specified limits and avoid overloading it.

Can a hydraulic section be customized for my specific needs?

Yes, many manufacturers offer custom hydraulic sections to meet specific project requirements. This may include modifications to the design, materials, or size of the section. Consult with a hydraulic expert to discuss your customization options.