1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open channel flow, mannings equation and specific energy

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 4m wide channel has a bed slope of 1 in 1500 and a Manning's roughness coef n=0.01. A broad crested measuring weir in the form of a streamlined hump 0.4m high spans across the full width of the channel. the discharge is 10.5m^3/s. Determine
    i)the uniform depth of flow
    iv)the depth of water on the weir, is this critial

2. Relevant equations
    Mannings equation: Q=A^(5/3)*(S)^(1/2)/(n*P^(2/3)) where A is cross sectional area, S is bed slope, P is wetted perimeter

Bernoulli equation elevation+(v^2)/(2*g)=constant (i ignore pressure head here as im working on surface so use atmospheric pressure as zero)

Specific energy - E=d+(Q/w)^2/(2*g*d^2) where d is the depth and w is the width

3. The attempt at a solution
    i use mannings equation to determine the depth and i get 1.22m, but then when i try and find the depth on top of weir i get nowhere, in face if i work out the minimum possible specific energy i get 1.333 and on top of the weir i get 1.05, so im clearly going wrong somewhere. any help anyone??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I admit up front that I don't know much about channel flow rates... but I took your Manning's equation and assumed that if ww = 4m is the channel width, and wd is the unknown water depth, then A = ww*wd and P = ww + 2wd, and take the other constants as given. I inserted a constant ##k = 1m^{1/3}s^{-1}## to make the units balance for flow rate.

Then, using a numerical solver I find that wd = 1.891m.

Of course I may be missing some procedural details regarding taking the weir into account...

EDIT: I discovered later that I had used S = 1/5000 instead of 1/1500 for this calculation. See below for further groveling.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    thanks for the reply, but im pretty sure thats not right, if you put in 1.22m you get Q=10.47 as required, but if you put in 1.891 you get Q=19.16 dont you?

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4

gneill

Hmm. If I plug wd = 1.891 m into the formula I find Q = 10.5 m3/s. That formula being:

$$Q = k \frac{(ww\;wd)^{5/3}\sqrt{S}}{n (ww + 2wd)^{2/3}}~~~~~~~k = m^{1/3}s^{-1}$$

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5
    really?? i keep trying it again and again and i get 1.22 as the answer. what value are you using for S? 1/1500=6.67x10^-4 right?

7. Dec 15, 2012 #6

gneill

D'OH! I've been wasting your time :blushing: For some reason when I copied down the constants I "saw" the slope as 1 in 5000. Much apologies.

If I use the correct value for S then I too get 1.22 m for the depth.

8. Dec 15, 2012 #7
    aha i thought i was going insane for a minute. thanks for attempting anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook