Max Height of m1 After Elastic Collision on Frictionless Track

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
chevyboy86
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Two blocks are free to slide along a frictionless wooden track. A block of mass m1=5 kg is released from point A. Protruding from its front end is the north pole of a strong magnet, repelling the north pole of an identical magnet embedded in the back end of the block of mass m2=10 kg, initially at rest. The two blocks never touch. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the elastic collsion.

m1 is initially at a height of 5 meters. I don't know what equation to use for this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume convservation of energy.

Balance momentum before and after impact.
Balance kinetic energy before and after impact.
 
There must be some sort of diagram that goes with this? I believe there is information missing here.

Edit: Though I guess if you work to make the problem meaningful, conservation of energy will make most other information unnecessary.
 
Yeh, I would figure that it is a (vertically) circular track, since m1 has a height and the question asks for a final height.