Proof of Bounded Set without Max or Min: (0,2) in (0,2)

• Thread starter fishturtle1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the set (0,2) is a bounded set that has neither a maximum nor a minimum. This is proven by showing that 0 is a lower bound and 2 is an upper bound, and then contradicting the existence of a maximum or minimum by using the fact that any number between 0 and 2 can be divided by 2 to find a larger or smaller number in the set.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Give an example of a bounded set that has neither a maximum nor a minimum. (The proof below is given by the book).

We claim that the set ##(0,2)## is bounded and has neither a maximum nor a minimum.

Proof: For each ##x \epsilon (0,2)##, we know that ##0 < x < 2##. Therefore 0 is a lower bound of the set and 2 is an upper bound. Thus, (0,2) is bounded. To see that it has no maximum, suppose to the contrary that ##s## is a maximum of the set ##(0,2)##. Then, by definition of maximum, s must be in the set ##(0,2)##. But
##0 < s < \frac {2+s}{2} < 2## and therefore ##\frac {2+s}{2}## is in the set (0,2) and larger than s, a contradiction. In a similar fashion, you can check that there is no minimum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get where ##\frac {2+s}{2}## comes from. I know that since ##s < 2##, then
##s + 2 < 2 + 2## so ##s + 2 < 4## so ##\frac {s+2}{2} < 2##. But how do we know ## s < \frac {s+2}{2} ##

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:
how do we know ## s < \frac {s+2}{2} ##
##s=\frac{s+s}2<\frac{s+2}2## because ##0<s<2##.

andrewkirk said:
##s=\frac{s+s}2<\frac{s+2}2## because ##0<s<2##.
Thank you, now I get it

Ok, and to show minimum we would do this:

Suppose ##h## is a minimum of ##(0,2)##. Then ##0 < h < 2## by definition of minimum. But ##0 < \frac {h}{2} < h < 2##. Thus h is not a minimum, a contradiction. We conclude that ##(0,2)## does not have a minimum. []

note: for the minimum, we could have divided ##h## by any ##n > 0## and would have found another minimum.

fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Give an example of a bounded set that has neither a maximum nor a minimum. (The proof below is given by the book).

We claim that the set ##(0,2)## is bounded and has neither a maximum nor a minimum.

Proof: For each ##x \epsilon (0,2)##, we know that ##0 < x < 2##. Therefore 0 is a lower bound of the set and 2 is an upper bound. Thus, (0,2) is bounded. To see that it has no maximum, suppose to the contrary that ##s## is a maximum of the set ##(0,2)##. Then, by definition of maximum, s must be in the set ##(0,2)##. But
##0 < s < \frac {2+s}{2} < 2## and therefore ##\frac {2+s}{2}## is in the set (0,2) and larger than s, a contradiction. In a similar fashion, you can check that there is no minimum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get where ##\frac {2+s}{2}## comes from. I know that since ##s < 2##, then
##s + 2 < 2 + 2## so ##s + 2 < 4## so ##\frac {s+2}{2} < 2##. But how do we know ## s < \frac {s+2}{2} ##

Sometimes visualization is helpful.

Draw a number line and mark the points x = 0 and x = 2 on it. The segment between these two marked points shows the region ##I = (0,2).## Now for any ##a \in I## the point ##b=(a+2)/2## is the mid-point of the segment from ##a## to ##2##, so lies between that segment's endpoints ##a## and ##2##.

Ray Vickson said:
Sometimes visualization is helpful.

Draw a number line and mark the points x = 0 and x = 2 on it. The segment between these two marked points shows the region ##I = (0,2).## Now for any ##a \in I## the point ##b=(a+2)/2## is the mid-point of the segment from ##a## to ##2##, so lies between that segment's endpoints ##a## and ##2##.
I will keep this in mind while going through this chapter, Thank you.

1. How do I start a Max/Min proof?

To start a Max/Min proof, begin by identifying the given function and its domain. Then, find the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. This will help you find the critical points of the function.

2. What is a critical point?

A critical point is a point on the graph of a function where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. It is important in Max/Min proofs because it helps us determine whether a point is a maximum or minimum value.

3. How do I determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum, you can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves plugging in a value on either side of the critical point to see if the function is increasing or decreasing. The second derivative test involves finding the second derivative of the function and plugging in the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum.

4. What are the steps for completing a Max/Min proof?

The steps for completing a Max/Min proof are:

1. Identify the given function and its domain
  2. Find the derivative of the function
  3. Set the derivative equal to zero to find the critical points
  4. Use the first or second derivative test to determine if the critical points are maximum or minimum
  5. Plug in the critical points and the endpoints of the domain into the original function to find the maximum or minimum values
  6. Write a conclusion stating the maximum or minimum value and where it occurs

5. What should I do if I get stuck on a Max/Min proof?

If you get stuck on a Max/Min proof, try going back to the basics and making sure you understand the concepts of derivatives and critical points. You can also try graphing the function to get a better visual understanding of the problem. If you're still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.