Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Power for Fiber Connectors?

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Max Power for Fiber Connectors??

Does anyone know the maximum peak or average power for FC/APC fiber optic connectors?

My system is constantly burning the cores of these connectors.
    I have a maximum of 600mW (average) and 1KW (peak) passing through these connectors.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did a google search and found this article (cached):
    Care and Handling of Fiber Optic Connectors

Hope this helps.
  4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot - I don't know why I couldn't manage to find that page.

I have obeyed all those cleaning procedures, and I disbelieve that the high power I am using is burning these connectors. The reason is, the burnt pair of connectors are not directly from the amplifier. Their is another pair before it that DOES NOT burn.

Something weird is going on...
  5. May 7, 2008 #4
    ok problem solved...
    Turns out NOT ALL FC/APC connectors have the same connector tip dimensions hence a slight misalignment in the fiber cores thus bigger loss = bigger burns.

Let this be a lesson to all.
  6. May 7, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks n0_3sc for letting us know the reason for you problem. So do you change the connectors type or is there a way to align?
  7. May 7, 2008 #6
    Sorry I don't know if your being sarcastic but taking your question seriously:
    There are only one type of fiber joiners. So I snipped of the one connector and spliced a new one on, with similar tip dimensions.

Yes you may align them through free space mechanisms but this is far too lossy.
  8. May 8, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Not being an expert in this area (had a little experience years ago), I didn't know if there were ways I wasn't aware of.

Glad you've solved the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?