1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max values of current and charge using differential equations

1. May 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-5-21_14-32-29.png

2. Relevant equations
    Circuit Equations.
    ##U_C=Q^2\2C##
    ##U_L=Li^2\2##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For (a) I said ##100J## .But I think it might be ##200J## too.Here what I did;
    ##U_t=Q^2\2C## and I put ##Q=0.1C## and we know ##C##.Here I find ##100J##.But I think I should add also the energy of inductor (and when I do that total energy becomes ##200J##)
    If I choose the later parts of the question when I try to find max values of current and charge using differantial equations.I get wrong results.I am really stucked.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct in saying that the total energy is 200 J. Both capacitor and inductor have energy stored in them at t = 0.
    For the max values, you have to show us first what you did and then perhaps we can get you unstuck.

4. May 21, 2017 #3
    When capacitor has no charge currrent wlll have a max value so and all that value will gives the energy since its conserved, ##(i_{max})^2=200J.2/L## from there its ##i=2√2## and max charge is (from same logic , ##q=\sqrt {2}. 10^{-1}##)

5. May 21, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answers are what I got. So where did you get stuck? Is there more to this problem that you did not include in the original statement?

6. May 21, 2017 #5
    Yeah now here comes that part.
    upload_2017-5-21_15-6-48.png
    now part d is ##i(t)=dq_{upper}\dt## which its obvious.
    part e ##i(t)=-dq_{lower}\dt##
    part f ##w=\frac {1} {\sqrt{LC}}=20rad\s## and from there I can find easily f
    now part g
    İts a second order dif.equation and I thought solution should look like,
    ##Q(t)=Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt)##
    and ##I(t)=Bwcos(wt)-Awsin(wt)##
    we know that at ##t=0##, ##Q=0,1C##.and ##I=2A##
    so when I put values I get
    ##Q(t)=0.1cos(20t)+0.01sin(20t)##
    ##I(t)=0.2cos(20t)-2sin(20t)##

but If you look the max values I couldnt get the previous results (I used desmos to graph the functions and it didnt give me the max values )

7. May 21, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You put in the values incorrectly. Start with the expression that gives you the charge on the capacitor at any time t, ##Q(t)=A \cos(\omega t) + B \sin(\omega t)##. You know that at time t = 0, ##Q_{upper} = 0.1 C##. This gives you ##Q(0)=A = 0.1.## That much you got right. What about B? Redo the algebra.

On edit: Also the current at t = 0 is -2A, not 2A.

8. May 21, 2017 #7
    I choose the direction as the opposite sign.So in the question -2A means in the opposite direction 2A for my choosen direction ?

Edit:B=0.1

Ok and make sense now.

9. May 21, 2017 #8
    I understand the all parts thanks a lot.I have another question too If you can help me also on that I ll be very happy

10. May 21, 2017 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The arrow in figure shows that the capacitor is discharging because positive charge is moving away from the positively charged upper plate. You have defined the current as the time derivative of ##q_{upper}##. Therefore the time derivative must be negative, ##\frac{dq_{upper}}{dt} = -2A##.

Did you sort out the value of B?

11. May 21, 2017 #10
    wait..I thought we can also say 2A...

12. May 21, 2017 #11

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the other question is not related to this particular problem, you need to post it in a separate thread.

13. May 21, 2017 #12
  14. May 21, 2017 #13

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

15. May 21, 2017 #14
    Ok,thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted