Max Velocity While Compressing a Spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 17 kg box sliding down a frictionless ramp and colliding with a spring. The maximum compression of the spring is 2.2 m and the question is asked at what compression of the spring the box has its maximum speed. The attempted solution involves calculating the acceleration using the equation mgsin(theta) = kx, with x being the compression of the spring. The correct calculation is suggested to be redone.
peterbishop

Homework Statement

A 17 kg box slides 4.0 m down the frictionless ramp shown in the figure, then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 210 N/m. (picture attached)

a) What is the maximum compression of the spring? (solved this part)
b) At what compression of the spring does the box have its maximum speed?

Homework Equations

F = -kx
Kspring = 1/2 * k* x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a already and the answer was 2.2 m, so that's all good. Part b I'm having some trouble with. I've seen this problem attempt to be answered on other threads but no one ever discusses part b thoroughly, it's usually about part a, which I didn't have a problem with. I've seen quite a few people on the internet say that the answer is zero compression, because the spring will slow the box down when it hits it, but this is not the case, as the spring only lessens the acceleration: it is still accelerating, I believe until a point when mgsin(theta) = kx, x being the compression of the spring. Using this I get an answer of .023 m though, which isn't correct either. Any help would be appreciated. (Also I tried putting zero for the answer just for the heck of it but masteringphysics says it's wrong as well.)

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
peterbishop said:
I've seen quite a few people on the internet say that the answer is zero compression, because the spring will slow the box down when it hits it, but this is not the case, as the spring only lessens the acceleration: it is still accelerating, I believe until a point when mgsin(theta) = kx, x being the compression of the spring.
Sounds good to me.
Using this I get an answer of .023 m though, which isn't correct either.
How did you get that answer? Redo your calculation.

Yep you're right, thanks, for some reason whenever I wrote it down in my notes before I did the calculation I left out mass.

What is the formula for calculating max velocity while compressing a spring?

The formula for calculating max velocity while compressing a spring is: vmax = sqrt((kx^2)/m), where vmax is the maximum velocity, k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

What factors affect the max velocity of a compressed spring?

The max velocity of a compressed spring is affected by the spring constant, the distance the spring is compressed, and the mass attached to the spring. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

What is the relationship between spring stiffness and max velocity?

The spring stiffness, or spring constant, is directly proportional to the max velocity of a compressed spring. This means that as the spring stiffness increases, the max velocity also increases.

How does the mass attached to the spring affect the max velocity?

The mass attached to the spring has an inverse relationship with the max velocity. This means that as the mass increases, the max velocity decreases. In other words, a heavier mass will compress the spring less and result in a lower max velocity.

Can the max velocity of a compressed spring ever exceed the initial velocity?

No, the max velocity of a compressed spring cannot exceed the initial velocity. This is because the initial velocity is the maximum velocity the spring can achieve without any external forces acting on it. Any additional forces, such as compression, will decrease the max velocity.