Maxima and Minima application question

In summary, the farmer can make six pens that are each equal in size with a total fence area of 112.5m.
violetskies

Homework Statement

A farmer is planning to build six adjoining rectangular pens of equal size to house his hens, as shown in the diagram. He only has 180m of fencing, however, and he wants to make the pens as large as possible. Find the maximum area he could make each pen.

The diagram is basically six rectangles joined together, three above three, if you can imagine this.

Homework Equations

P= 6x + 4y??

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a little bit confused after beginning with:
P= 6x + 4y
Not sure if I'm headed in the right direction. Could someone help me answer this please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
what are x & y? length and width of a single pen?

in that case i get
L = 9x + 8y = 180m

now find the area in terms of x & y, use the above contsraint to substitute for y(x). Then minimise teh resulting equation with respect to x

Thank you for helping!
Well, they don't actually give the length. The only number given is 180m. In class, we were taught to form an expression for the perimeter, then state one variable in terms of the other, substitute to just have one variable, then differentiate and set to 0 to find the max.
Then we would have the area, but I'm confused as to what equation I should use for the perimeter.

There's a clearer idea of the diagram given:
_____
|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|

Kind of badly shown but hey.. close enough :D

Ignore all of that. So I did this:

P = 2y + x
180 = 2y + x
x = 180 - 2y

A = xy
A = (180-2y)y
= 180y -2y^2
dA/dy= 180 -4y
4y = 180
y= 45

x= 180 -2(45)
= 180 - 90
= 90

45 x 90 = 4050

4050 / 6 = 675

Apparently the answer is 112.5m, but I don't understand why I have to divide 4050 by 6 and then that answer by 6 again to get 112.5..?

you haven't set up the problem correctly.. you need to be clear in what x & y are so i understand what you are trying to do

lets let :
x = width of single pen
y = hight of single pen

then the length of the total fence is
L = 180m = 9x + 8y

now the area of a sinlge pen is
A1 = xy

as there are 6 pens the total area is
A = 6xy

now try optimising and see how you go

let x be equal to the width of the pen
let y be the length of the pen
and S be the area of a single pen

there are 6 pen to be fenced for 180 m;
6(2x + 2y) = 180 (eq. 1)
simplify;
6[2(x+y)]=180
12(x+y)=180
x + y = 15
then differentiate;
1 + y' = 0
y' = -1 (we will use it later)

the area of a single pen is equal to S so;
S = xy (length times width) (eq. 2)
differentiate the equation;
S' = xy' + y
make S' equal to zero to maximize the area (MAXIMA/MINIMA HAS BEEN APPLIED) and substitute the computed value of y'.

0 = x(-1) + y
0 = -x + y
x = y (eq. 3)

substitute eq 3 in eq 1

6(2x + 2y) = 180
6(2y + 2y) = 180
6(4y) = 180
24 y = 180
y = 180/24
y = 7.5 m
since x=y then,
x = 7.5 m also.

Solve the area of each pen by substituting the value of x and y into equation 2.
S = xy
S = (7.5 m)(7.5 m)
S = 56.25 m^2

Your constraint 6(2x+2y)=180 is wrong. Each internal segment of fencing bounds two pens, but you are assuming that each pen's side needs it's own, separate piece of fencing.

RGV

guys this post is a year old, probably not worth re-opening

1. What is the concept of maxima and minima in mathematics?

The concept of maxima and minima in mathematics refers to the highest and lowest values of a function or a set of data points. It is used to determine the optimal or extreme values of a system, whether it is in the form of a graph, equation, or real-life scenario.

2. How do you find maxima and minima in a given function?

To find maxima and minima in a given function, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical points by setting the derivative to zero and finding the corresponding values of x. Finally, plug in these critical values into the original function to determine the maximum or minimum value.

3. What are the real-life applications of maxima and minima?

Maxima and minima have various real-life applications, such as in economics, optimization problems, and engineering. For example, in economics, maxima and minima can be used to determine the highest and lowest profit or cost for a business. In optimization problems, they can be used to find the most efficient solution. In engineering, they can be used to determine the strongest or weakest point of a structure.

4. How do you know if a critical point is a maximum or a minimum?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or a minimum, you need to take the second derivative of the function and evaluate it at the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is equal to zero, further investigation is needed to determine the nature of the critical point.

5. Can a function have more than one maximum or minimum value?

Yes, a function can have more than one maximum or minimum value. These are called local maxima and minima, and they occur at different points along the function. A function can also have a global maximum or minimum, which is the highest or lowest value of the entire function. Global maxima or minima may or may not coincide with local maxima or minima.