Maximising the area of a triangle of known perimeter

In summary, to find the maximum area of a triangle given a fixed perimeter, you can use Heron's formula and the AM-GM inequality to show that the maximum area is achieved when the triangle is equilateral.
Unredeemed
How would I find the maximum area of a triangle given a fixed perimeter?

I assume that it would be an equilateral triangle, but I'm finding it very hard proving it.

I started by drawing a triangle of side lengths a, b and P -(a+b) with angles of alpha, beta and gamma.

I then used the A=(ab*sine(gamma))/2 formula for the area. But have been hitting a definite brick wall. I'm guessing calculus is necessary, but I'm struggling to see how.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Unredeemed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unredeemed! :smile:
Unredeemed said:
I started by drawing a triangle of side lengths a, b and P -(a+b) with angles of alpha, beta and gamma.

I then used the A=(ab*sine(gamma))/2 formula for the area.

But what is your formula for the area as a function of a b and P (only) ?

Well, I got from the cosine rule:

(P-(a+b))^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos([tex]\gamma[/tex])
So cos([tex]\gamma[/tex])=((P-(a+b))^2-a^2-b^2)/(-2ab)

Here, I got a bit confused, because I need sin([tex]\gamma[/tex]), but only have cos([tex]\gamma[/tex]).

Do I need to use the fact that cos([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1/2[tex]\pi[/tex])=sin([tex]\gamma[/tex])?

Unredeemed said:
How would I find the maximum area of a triangle given a fixed perimeter?

You can do it by finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle given a fixed area.

Use Heron's formula: The area A = [tex]\sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}[/tex], where [tex]s = \frac{a+b+c}{2}[/tex], and a,b,c are the sides of the triangle. The perimeter is fixed, so you want to maximize the expression (s-a)(s-b)(s-c). If you have heard of the AM-GM inequality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM-GM#The_inequality

You can find an upper bound, and by that the maximum value of the area. As you suspected, this is when a=b=c, that is when the triangle is equilateral.

1. How do you calculate the maximum area of a triangle with a known perimeter?

To calculate the maximum area of a triangle with a known perimeter, you can use the Heron's formula: A = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)), where A is the area, and a, b, and c are the side lengths of the triangle, and s is the semi-perimeter (s = (a+b+c)/2).

2. Can you explain the concept of maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter?

Maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter means finding the largest possible area that a triangle can have while still having a fixed perimeter. This is important in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics, as it allows for efficient use of materials and space.

3. Are there any limitations to maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter?

Yes, there are limitations. One limitation is that the triangle must still satisfy the triangle inequality theorem, which states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. Additionally, the triangle must be able to exist within the given perimeter constraints.

4. What are some real-life applications of maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter?

Maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter is commonly used in architecture and engineering to design structures that use the least amount of materials while still maintaining structural integrity. It is also used in landscaping to determine the largest possible area for a given plot of land.

5. Is there a specific method or strategy for maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter?

Yes, there are various methods and strategies for maximizing the area of a triangle with a known perimeter, such as using the Heron's formula, using derivatives to find the maximum area, or dividing the triangle into smaller shapes with known maximum areas. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific parameters and constraints of the triangle.